Top Shelf Aquatics

question about pumps

GPCRalph

Hi,

I need a small return pump (roughly 160 gal/hr) which is quiet and dependable. I was using a maxijet 600 powerhead. It was working fine but now it has a horrible hum to it and the flow has significantly decreased. The tank is in my room so trying to sleep at night is a pain in the butt. Could somebody please tell me what pumps have worked well for them?

PS. I clean the impeller regularly so this is not a question of maintenance.

I'd agree. You could also run, I may be yelled at for this, but a small rio pump. I've had great luck with the smaller rio's and they are pretty quite in my opinion

Cameron

freakaccident

RIOS SUCK! You will kick yourself in the junk if you waste your money on a Rio. They work great for an auto top off or water change pump. In a tank return system where there is a possibility of sucking debris in they absolutely suck. Trust me. I have to use a coat hanger to get my Rio going if I unplug it or the power goes out. The pump sump in the fuge is debris free too. Just the crap that is in the water will make these bastages fail. I would suggest a Mag 250. Its a 250gph pump. I am going to get a Mag 700 soon to replace my Rio junk. The Rio junk can go to the same box my Skilter junk is in.

Archived