Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Reef-safe nudis?

akaMonkey

I understand that the lettuce nudibranch is safe in that it isn't likely to nuke an aquarium when it dies (not being a true nudibranch). Is this true of any others? They're so beautiful.

mandarin dragonet

lettuce nuds are reef safe BUT YOU WILL NEED A GOOD SUPPLY OF ALGAE to sustain even one induvidual,especially in a nano. my LFS (in the UK sorry :P ) keeps its nudis in the coral tanks, so im certain the ones i i see there are reef safe.

they have (my bad descriptions):

a purple one with yellow gills

a striped black, blue and orange one with black gills

a yellow and black striped one(called flatworm eating nudibranch)

ALTHOUGH im not sure about your nuking query sorry.

From what I've read on nudibranches, there are two main difficulties with them. The first is that they often have extremely specialized diets, sometimes eating only one type of macroalgae or the like. So, many of them eventually starve to death. Second, when they die they often release a toxic compound which can wipe out an entire tank. These two things spell eventual disaster.

But the fact I keep seeing them for sale in stores in tanks with lots of other fish indicates to me that at least some of these stories are overblown.

From what I've read on nudibranches, there are two main difficulties with them. The first is that they often have extremely specialized diets, sometimes eating only one type of macroalgae or the like. So, many of them eventually starve to death. Second, when they die they often release a toxic compound which can wipe out an entire tank. These two things spell eventual disaster.

But the fact I keep seeing them for sale in stores in tanks with lots of other fish indicates to me that at least some of these stories are overblown.

mandarin dragonet

you wouldprobably need to ask the guy that looks after them at your LFS or pm a guy on here that knows exactly what need to know ;)

non-photosynt

I had lettuce nudibranch in the tank with a lot of undesirable algae, it just disappeared in a month, may be.

No nuke at all, unlike black and white striped, with orange or red perimeter.

I haven't links right now, but lettuce nudibranch relies on photosynthesis too, it should be kept in well-lit tank. Also, they are short-living, if I remember right.

A lot of ID and specific information is on the slugsforum. The food for obligate feeders is listed here.

Regarding the mentioned purple one: it seems to be an obligate feeder, as blue and black striped with orange band, Chromodoris quadricolor is. I had one, results are here.

The one what was left, black and white strips, red perimeter, shrinked twice in the size in two monts without specific food available, other sponges were not accepted.

May be LFS keeps them for a short time and removes the declining ones...

Archived