29 gallon tank

3lbs of live rock to seed 40lbs of fiji rock

3 inch deep sand bed

5-10 misc hermit crabs

1 Feather Duster Worm

1 Green Feather Duster Worm

1 Peppermint shrimp

1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

1 Red Brittle Starfish (Cool looking when he comes out at night)

4-6 Nas Snails

Heres the deal, I'm either finding hermit crab corpses or they are molting I'm not sure which. never noticed it but one of my nas snails surfaced and had the center of his spiral broken open but he still seems fine. I had extra hermit crab shells but some have gotten buried, I'm thinking they are either battling each other for shells or something is half eating them. I've noticed some hermits might be missing and I just don't see the nas snails as often as when I first got them. Started the tank last month. Tank perimeters seem fine, maybe my test kit is kinda old maybe I should get a new one and a refractometer for the salt levels..

It's not unusual to lose some of your cuc when first added. IME, a few hermits come out on top and the rest die. I started out with about 20 and now have 4. Same with the snails. I have 4 cerith and 3 nass. Red brittle sounds cool!

Broken shells sounds like a mantis shrimp to me. I'm not aware of anything else that can break shells like that.

Anyone?

He didn't mention broken shells from the hermits. One snail with a cracked shell could be from moving rocks around. I think there would be more broken shells than one if he had a mantis. Just my .02

yeah it was just the one nas snail. just the hermits that have been found rolling around in the sand dead. but the shells disappear also I haven't seen any broken hermit shells, I hear an occasional tap but I think it's my HOB filter.

Archived