Coral Vue Hydros

Common VS Percula VS Sebae Vs Clarkii VS tomato

R*Frost*

HI i have been reading this board for quite a long time now and have learn quite a few of the pros/cons of clownfish. I No some will say that this should be in the beginners section BUT i want people to post THIER oppinions about clownfish, discoverys and detailed info ON the pros and cons of these fish against each other to discover the most rated CLOWNFISH and thier symbolic realtionship between anemones, power heads, LPS i.e Torch and buddies :)

p.s if i have missed a clownfish that you think should be added just post it :).

coralreefengr

I've only got false percs, so I can't comment on the others. I did lots of research before selecting these and used Joyce Wilkerson's book on clownfish. This book will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about clownfish.

My clownfish host in many things in my tank. Among them are mushrooms and tree-type corals. They tend to spend the night at the top of the tank above the powerhead for some reason. When I first got them, they would hide at night and were disinterested in any hosts.

That's about it. They are the only 2 fish in the tank, so no stories of interaction with other fish. They like each other and that's all they have to worry about fish-wise.

Joyce Wilkerson's book will go into detail about behavior of each species. It's worth the read.

Yes, that is a nice book. You are missing Skunk and Maroon clowns in your list too. I think only ocellaris and percula are small enough to keep in a nano. I have seen the other day some Sebae, Maroon and Tomato clowns at a public aquarium, and they grow huge!

freakaccident

I currently have a Clarky clown. He is wonderful except he picks on the smaller snails and hermits in my tank. He knocks them over and won't let them turn back over. I have to flip them over a couple times each day. He was originally hosting a small golf ball sized rock with some GSPs on it, swithced to my powerhead, and recently began hosting on my candy cane. He is a nice fish. He rubs against my arm when it is in the tank, eats from my hand, and in general is very social. He is getting big fast though which means big droppings.

I had a tomato clown. He was the best fish I have ever had. Not aggresive at all. Lots of personality, eat out of my hand, hosted whatever I put in one corner of the tank, etc. Lost him to a bad tank crash.

thx all for replying:

freakaccident: what are your tank specs with your clarky in? are they the same as the 1 that used to have the tomato in?

p.s i would love to see some pictures :D

freakaccident

The Tomato and Clarky were both in the same tank but at different times. It is a 10g with sump/refugium and currently has zero fish in it. The Tomato was from an unknown source. The Clarky was bought by me at Premium Aquatics for $9 on sale. They said it was tank raised. They had a bunch of them all the same size and all beautiful. He's been great since the begining. I think that he learned to mess with the snails by watching my spotted hawk do it. The hawk got banished to the refuge until the big tank cycled and Clarky kept doing it. The clarky eats anything and everything I put in the tank. Usually he dines on nori with the yellow tang and I cut those frozen food cubes into quarters and he picks them out of my fingers. It is difficult to feed the tang and the clarky sometimes. The clarky likes to eat what the tang is. The clarky will eat the nori before the tang grazes long enough. I have to feed the clarky his frozen pieces at the same time I put the nori in. So basically I keep him busy with frozen pieces while the tang eats then he is full enough that he leaves the nori alone. When I am lazy I just give him a full cube of the frozen stuff and he swims down to the rocks and hogs it in his mouth until it starts to defrost then he breaks it up and eats it. I don't like feeding that much though. I prefer a little every day so the tang gets to eat daily and overfeeding doesn't occur. Nori doesn't seem to cause me any overfeeding problems by the way. Keeping the friggin' turbo snails from eating the nori is another problem all together. I have to hang the nori from the canopy in the middle of the tank so the snails don't get it. They eat it faster than the fish do. Basically I have a coat hanger hanging from my light bulb with a stupid clown fish veggie clip hanging over the water on the end. It works!

freakaccident

Oh and I took pics of the fish this weekend using my roommates digi cam. Its a POS camera but I think you will get the picture. I am just waiting for him to get the pics off the camera and emailed to me.

freakaccident

Ok here are the pics. They suck because the camera sucks and I am no pro. Don't try to give me lessons on photography either because I don't care. You can see the Clarky and Tang in the 10g. They are currently in the big tank but this is a pic of them in the 10g to give you an idea. The tomato was in the same tank as I stated before.

like the tank, Needs more corals though make it brighter. Whats your lighting? I wasnt gonna lecture any 1 about photo, as slong as i can see them :).

p.s i wont moan on about the tang saying that it has to be moved. I already know you have been probably told many times ;) .

ROCK ON REEFER!

freakaccident

I had plenty of corals but they almost all died due to an un-explained crash. I think my ex gf sabatoged it. Some are coming back. That green brain is very slowly recovering. It is starting to bulge out of the cracks a little. I also took those pics after sleepytime. I turned the lights on just to get those pics.

I am using one 96w power quad for lighting above and a dual bayco work light below for the fuge. I also have a moonlight on that tank.

The tang was moved to my bigger FOWLR tank. I had to move Grissy (Clarky) to the big tank the next day because he looked sad and lonely without Ducky (Yellow Tang). The litte bastage spotted hawk has been moved with them. No fish in the 10g right now. I may add something small like a perc or a goby but not right now. I need to get the 10g happy again. No fish = clean water

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a clarkii in my 45.....I know that isn't too nano! But, he's full grown and starting to mature (blacking up). I think they'd do fine in anything bigger than a 7ga and they host very easily with pretty much anything. Ocellaris is also a good pick for a nano!

thx for the info, i think that i have decided to go with a pair of true percs or a clarkii clownfish. My tank is 15 gal so i think a clarkii would do fine in it as long as i mature my tank first.

Archived