inTank Media Baskets

Possible 50gal

supernip

I have a few nano-reefs lying around my home and my folks are getting annoyed at the amount of junk I've collected, so I was thinking of consolidating all of it into a single larger tank for ease and what not.

My work is moving to a new location and has a brand spanking new tank they want to sell me. A truvu 50gal corner tank with black back and 1inch overflow for 200 bucks.

http://www.truvuaquariums.com/marrc0050.html

what do you guys think? I have a lot of equipment stockpiled so it's just think tank. I have a sump, remora skimmer (but I can probably dig up a euroreef somewhere at work), and a 150 halide. A corner tank is also perfect cause they don't have a lot of room.

However, I'm worried that this tank might be a little tall to work with and corner tanks aren't really known for their roominess.

VICSKIMMER: Im especially interested in your opinion.

anyway, my plans for the tank are as followed:

tank, 12gal sump, euroreef/aquaC skimmer, 150 watt halide, B Ionic dosed via a peristaltic pump, 600 gph (?) return pump after head, 1 or 2 tunze mini 6025 powerhead (?)

livestock: soft corals, a few frogspawns, perhaps some SPS up top.

If I do get the tank, I'd like your opinion on whether I should extend the bulkhead size, and whether I should add sand. Or, if I should skip the tank altogether.

thanks in advance,

Nips

p.s.

I want to keep this as simple as possible so I might even skip the powerheads and the only sps are probably going to be montiporas.

as for fish, a pygmy angel, pair of clown, a blenny. maybe a pair of bangaii cardinals or possum wrasse

I have a few nano-reefs lying around my home and my folks are getting annoyed at the amount of junk I've collected, so I was thinking of consolidating all of it into a single larger tank for ease and what not.

Like the idea so far...

My work is moving to a new location and has a brand spanking new tank they want to sell me. A truvu 50gal corner tank with black back and 1inch overflow for 200 bucks.

I would buy it if I were you. Though I have no experience with these tanks I have heard good things.

what do you guys think? I have a lot of equipment stockpiled so it's just think tank. I have a sump, remora skimmer (but I can probably dig up a euroreef somewhere at work), and a 150 halide. A corner tank is also perfect cause they don't have a lot of room.

Personally I like corner tanks. Anything to get away from the BOX shape!

However, I'm worried that this tank might be a little tall to work with and corner tanks aren't really known for their roominess.

You can make them look a lot bigger with aquascaping and tall is not as hard to work with as you think.

tank, 12gal sump, euroreef/aquaC skimmer, 150 watt halide, B Ionic dosed via a peristaltic pump, 600 gph (?) return pump after head, 1 or 2 tunze mini 6025 powerhead (?)

I like it so far. A few Tunze Nano Streams in the back wouldnt take away from the look too much IMO.

As for return pump...on my 65g tank I have a 1" overflow going to my sump connected to a GenX3 pump which gave me a bit over 600gph. I think a Mag pump...perhaps a Mag 9 depending on how you split the return...would work well for you. Perhaps a single return to a 1" seaswirl??

I want to keep this as simple as possible so I might even skip the powerheads and the only sps are probably going to be montiporas.

I think if you did a seaswirl you wold get better flow, or even if you did a Y with some locline returns going to different directions. Either way I think you will need supplemental flow in there.

Lets say you are getting 600gph return and you throw in a Tunze Nano Stream...now your at least around 20x turnover, right?

Personally I would do the 600gph return and (2) Tunze Nanostreams on a wavemaker.

You can mount them really high so you dont really see wires and angle them any way you want. A little constant flow and a lot of turbulent flow. Now THAT would be some wavemaking to be proud of!

as for fish, a pygmy angel, pair of clown, a blenny. maybe a pair of bangaii cardinals or possum wrasse

Go for it.

• 2 weeks later...
hollister_08

I like it, but i also agree with more flow!! you need a couple power heads to go in there... And i also think you should add another 150w MH to it, i just dont think the 1 by itself would be enuff...

VICSKIMMER: Im especially interested in your opinion.

Well, I'm not exactly sure of which part you wanted my opinion on, so I'll just give it on everything.

I think consolidating all your tanks into one big display is a good idea. It'll mean less maintenance overall and more time to sit down and enjoy the tank.

As far as tall tanks are concerned, they can be a royal pain to aquascape, but they're efficient as far as the amount of gallonage you can fit in a desired space. I think a 24"x24"x24" would be a great size for a tank though. Its not so tall that you'll soak yourself every time you need to reach the bottom of the tank, and you won't have to spend a fortune on lights for it.

For your bulkhead size, I'm fairly sure that a 1" bulkhead can easily accommodate a 600gph pump.

For the style of tank you're shooting for, I would go with a shallow sand bed. I've tried both that and BB on a tall tank and I could never get the BB to work properly. With tanks that have such a strange layout, as soon as you add rock to them, it becomes extremely difficult to get rid of dead spots. So if it were me setting it up, it would all come down to aesthetics, and in that department its no contest in my opinion.

I can't comment on the nanostreams yet because I haven't received mine, but I'll let you know how the 6045's act when I get them.

My only concern with your choice of tank is that most of your corals will grow horizontally instead of vertically. That won't really be a problem, just something to consider.

OH, one more thing, if you haven't worked with an acrylic tank before, make sure you're extra careful when cleaning it. 1 grain of sand in the magnet (or some type of featherduster that may have grown in it) is all it takes to scratch the tank. I'd recommend keeping the magnet outside the tank at all times unless you're using it. I think Steve Weast even puts a microfiber cloth between the two pieces of his when not in use, but that seems like a little overkill. Or you can skip the magnet altogether and just use some type of plastic scraper.

i wanted your opinion cause i remembered you having something that looked like a corner tank. or around 50gals anyway.

But yeah I picked up the tank. I have a dedicated sps tank nr hasnt seen yet but this one is just going to be softies, plus whatever corals I feel i need a clones of, just in case the main tank crashes.

Im building the stand tomorrow, ill post pics after most of the hardware is complete

Archived