Coral Vue Hydros

trocus snail or mantis shrimp?

canadianreefer

canadianreefer

For weeks and weeks I thought I had a mantis shrimp in my tank because I heard the clicking noise after the light went out. So I bought a trap and nothing.... then one night i noticed one of my trocus snails trying to fling off a hermit crab right near the glass and I heard that same clicking sound... i thought, my gosh, is this the noise i have been hearing. I noticed a this happening a few more times.

Am I just in denial or has this happened to anyone else out there.... I have had quite a few deaths of scarlet hermit and snails and but I wonder if that may be because my nitrates were a little high, and I used red slime remover to get rid of my cyanobacteria problem,

Also, how often do people have to replace snail and crabs from deaths?

canadianreefer

the empty shells were not at all smashed... and the trocus snails were just spinning really fast back and forth and their shells were hitting the glass and that is what I thought was a mantis shrimp clicking.

How many deaths of snails and crabs is a normal number? (ie. how many do you have?)

i have had one snail die and my tank is 4 months old ... and it was a margarita snail and they don't live that long anyway ... and if you keep having deaths of snails etc are you acclimatizing them or just dropping them in ?

canadianreefer

I drip acclimate invertebrates and fish for an hour (sometimes more) then temperature acclimate until the water is the same temp as my tank. The only thing I did just stick into my tank is the corals. All of the livestock I buy is from a saltwater only LFS.

i'll confirm that trochus do rattle their shells against the glass to shake off debris (and crabs). it's a sort of a twisting motion right?

Archived