inTank Media Baskets

any suggestions or advice for live stock...

Iphantom

Any suggestions or advice for reef safe live stock for a 20 gallon high?

what about a flame angel?

I kind of want to do one main fish and 2 small fishes(royal gramma-p.clown-or some sort of goby or lawnmower blenny

as you can tell I am all over the place for live stock right now)

but I am not sure how much I can put in

also I plan on having peppermint shrimp but how many

2 or 4?

15 or 20 snails?

2 or 4 hermits?

what about crabs? could I get an emerald or a pom pom?(do they NEED to have anenomes with them?)

what about 1 sand sifter star?

I whould like to have alot of inverts and about 3 fish

please any suggestions or comments?

thank you

-_-MAtt

I think that a 20 would be too small for a flame angel. I think some people have had success with pygmy angels but I'm not sure. As far as inverts go, it really depends on what you like since they do not strain the bioload very much. In my 20H I have a pair of clowns, about 6 blue leg hermits, a scarlet cleaner shrimp and about 12 assorted snails. Even with a CPR protein skimmer I feel that I am pretty much maxed out on fish. I could possibly add another small fish but my clowns and shrimp are entertaining enough. HTH.

Bucket o Chum

Me thinks if you want an angelfish stick with a cherub. If that cleaner shrimp of yours is still alive get another one. They are hermaphrodites and will produce a spawn every few weeks or so and they will make good food for corals and fish.

You can try a crab but not pom pom the anemones can sting corals and because the crab is carrying it around the chances are greater. Also please tell me you're still interrested in that starfish try cerith snails, nassarius snails, and fighting conch! You can also just get a pair of Banggai cardinalfish they're so cool.

Hey Iphantom -

Once you have moved your current livestock over, do wait a bit before adding to your bioload. If you plan on being very successful and having your fish for several years - avoid the angel altogether. Personally I would recommend sticking just to the royal gramma and a pair of percs. Add a few more (but not 10 -15) snails. With the lighter fish load - you will be less prone to severe algae outbreaks. *Note I said less prone - not immune. It looks like you are focussed on fish and inverts aside from corals, is this correct? If you plan on avoiding corals, you could hedge your bet against algae by including some macroalgae as well. Hope your new setup goes well - keep us posted.

so far my plan for live stock is

fish:

one p. clown

one royal gramma

and maybe one lawn mower bleeny(if not a lawn mower bleeny then a small goby)

inverts:

2 pepperment shrimp(or 2 cleaner shimp)

1 emeral crab

4 hermits(2 blue and 2 red)

about 10(ish) snails

1 sand siffter(yes I am still very much interested in one(-Bucket o Chum-)

corals:

various polyps shrooms spft sps and maybe some lps havent decided yet

and thats all I can think of that will be ok

what do you think?

anything I am overlooking?

-Matt

Archived