Pod Your Reef

Added my first 2 LRs today--cycle begins!!

Trig

Here are the 2 pieces i got at a NSLFS (NS=Not So).

Sorry about the flash.....my 10 thou K lamp blew hours after i installed it. Tried w/no flash but with only the 03 lamp----too dark!!

Nice rocks, too!!!

#1: well, actually, from what i read - and i could be 100% wrong, i read that live sand could be turned into DEAD sand from getting killed off by the cycle.

#2 The LFS did not have ANY live sand.

#3 I am very dollar challenged at this point and am doing this in small pieces. It has taken me from Christmas to get to this point.

#4 i appreciate any and all help and pointing out ways I have made a mistake - it all makes me be a better reef-keeper, but if ya gotta go the Don Rickles-route one me, i'd rather you just passed me by!!!!!!!

Hey trigger nice lookin' pieces of rock.

About that sand bed.....where are you? Can you get Southdown or Yardright playsand? Rinse and install. :)

If not just get dead sand from the LFS, it shouldn't be that expensive. My expensive LFS has small bags for about 8 bucks. Then you can add some live or more dead sand sand later if you wish. It will give the critters and bacteria somewhere to set up house.

All this is a moot point if you arer planning to go barebottomed. :woot:

I wasn't making fun of it or anything. Everybody's tank is different.

And its good to take things slow. The $ factor always helps slow things down a lot :P

And good liverock should be all you need to seed "dead" sand and make it live. That also takes quite a bit of time.

What are your plans for the tank? And how did you blow the bulb? That totally sucks.

NO----you took it wrong.....i was laughing too!!! that why i added all the (!!!!!!)at the end!!!!

No offense was taken-----i just tried to answer with some dry wit -- i failed!!! sorry!!!!

bulb just cracked at point where they connect.....faulty bulb!!!

We OK now?? hope so-----i was just actin' a fool!!!!!

Lizbeth....isn't southdown a Home Depot exclusive product?

closest HD is about 45 miles!!!

all the LFS in MY TOWN got heads buried so far up da BUTT it is ridiculous!!!!!

closest one has some LR - same ones that been there for about 3 years. i think they have maybe 1 60 watt inc. bulb over the tanks!

damn rock is so covered with red slime it is sickning..the ones that don't have the R.S..........they look like someone collected the rubble from one of da buildings they blew up in Iraq and stuck it in the tank!!!!!

Hey--- new IDEA!!!!! "REEF 'CRETE"!!!!!!!!!

I am a little confused you say the rock has been in a tank for about 3 years. That means it's cured so with no die off that will not start a cycle. I know how you feel with $$$$ problems I am 15 and lighting the 210g would never happen if my dad were not in the hobby. I hope to have 3 400w MH's over it in 2 months. What will jump start that cycle is a piece of dead seafood (normaly shrimp) left to decompose. For more LR I would watch the websites. I got 45 LBS from Liveaquaria.com for like 140$(thats with 2 day shiping). What is the size of the tank?? maybe I missed it?? Another idea to save $$ is to seed dead rock with some good live rock. You need to find some nice porus stuff though.

Your addiction to the hobby has begun now that your cycling

jj

No, Reefan----you misunderstood! The 2 rocks were just purchased from a store that i had to travel to get to.....i was explaining about "sand" buying and the LFS's around where i live - they got old crap rock & that's what I was talking about.

No, mine is new rock that was about 1 week old at the store i went to.

I see you are in Lanc!!!!! Man when i lived in H'burg---- i loved goin to TFP--still make the trip 3 or 4 times a year.

I remember about 15 years ago, they used to get som real Kick-A$$ carribbean rock. That place has chenged soooo much since i lived out that way.

other end of state, now!!

I know i am very, very new to the nano reef keeping aspect---i have much, much to learn!!

But i do have the ability to be successful....i know it's not the same, but here is what i used to havethe - 8-10 years ago!!!!

==>

this is a 75G.

lookit da size of the carpet.....and notice size of leather in pic above - leather wuz 3" tall and had a 1" thick base when bought---it was 3 years old in pic above!!

SeaMountain

Hey... Maybe trigger is on to something. If you count the LR in the reflections on the bottom of the tank - there are FOUR pieces of LR!!! You could virtually cut a nano budget in HALF with this approach! :D

And I really love the Glass Corals and Invisi-fish you have hosting among them. Nicely done!!! B)

Archived