Cultivated Reef

Skunk cleaner pairing?

Alexraptor

Well i bought a new cleaner last weekend, and she came out of hiding, and i thought she looked a little strange, turns out she actually is carrying eggs, and if ive read correctly, fertile eggs turn green when they are getting close to hatching?

Anyway, since ive found she is a female i was thinking it might be nice to add a male so that they can spawn in the future, so i was wondering is it safe to add in a male? or do they need to be paired from the start?

they are generally pretty social and should get along ... i don't see it being a problem .. anyone correct me if im wrong but i added mine at different times and they are fine

I've added at different times as well. They are very sociable with their own kind so it won't be a problem. You may very well see that they both start carrying eggs as mine have done.

I don't knowbut always when I have had a pair one or BOTH become egg laden. Perhaps they have the ability to change sex?

From what I remember, you are right. They are hermaphroditic(or however you spell that, just both sexes anyway).

noobwithatank
From what I remember, you are right. They are hermaphroditic(or however you spell that, just both sexes anyway).

Then there would be no "benifical" point to adding another to "pair" up.. other then the social interaction of them right?

Archived