Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hermit crabs maximum size?

mandarin dragonet

mandarin dragonet

i am setting up nano reef which is a 24 gallon orca TL-420, and was wondering how many hermit crabs i could fit in (along with other clean up crew members) as i saw one in ly local fish shop that was easily 2 inches big, do they normally grow this big?? :huh::o

Depends on the species. Some stay small while the hairy ones tend to get huge. There are some small blue black stripped ones, the scarlets are the middle.

Are you looking for a clean up crew or you like hermits? For a CUC, just get 1-2 scarlets and a few of the smaller blue legged ones and you should be fine. A 24 doesn't really need too many hermits depending on what you're planning on stocking and feeding habits.

BustytheSnowMaam

You might have seen a brown striped hermit (Clibanarius Vittatus) which can grow quite big- mine was in a shell 7-inches across. Electric blue hermits can be bigger too.

In order of agressiveness, I have found b/w (zebra) hermits to be the most agressive, followed by blue legs, red legs, then scarlets. I keep a few red-legs and scarlets together in my tanks and they do fine. All of these get to a max size (I'm counting the shell here) of about 1- 1.5 inches. All of the above are reef-safe.

I really don't think hermits do a lot as far as algae control- they do pick up detritus, but overall I think they're more for interest/movement. I would invest in things that keep the sandbed stirred (good LS, microstars, baja snails) and good algae eating snails. I think the best are baja snails, I believe their other name is cerith snails.

Tasha

Archived