SaltCritters.com

thought I was done cycling

robertmun

I have a 20g lr, ls tank about a month old. I thought I was done cycling, so I added some hermits, a turbo snail and a peppermint shrimp. They did a good job of eating algae...I drop in some flaked food for shrimp to eat, since I never see him eating anything else.

Did water about 5 gal water change last week. Tested water this morning and found Nitrites just over Zero, Nitrates about 20 and Ammonia at 1.0.

Am I NOT done cycling. Should I leave it alone and see if it "finishes" cycling? Should I do a big water change to eliminate Ammonia? Or should I do a small water change to bring it down to help "finish" cycle?

Robert

Hi, I have the same question.

It appears that I will need to log the readings frequently to

identify the "ending" of the cycle.

Can anyone tell me what will happen if I "accidently" change

water during cycle? Also, if the hang-on filter looks too dirty and

I cleaned it, is that ok?

Thanks

Peter

SeaMountain

I wouldn't get to alarmed to early... Your tank may have very well 'cycled'. Did your Ammonia and Nitrite readings hit 0 prior to adding your critters?

If they hit 0, I would say the tank cycled for the bioload which was currently there.

By adding additional critters, and possibly the flake food, you increased the bioload sparking a mini-cycle so to speak!

Ammonia at 1 and a trace of Nitrite tells me the bacteria is building which does the conversion of Ammonia > Nitrites.

As for the Nitrates being 20. I would do a couple of 10% WC's over the next few days and reduce'em some.

peterk... How does one "ACCIDENTALLY" do a water change!?!?!? :D

Thanks. Yes, Nitrites and Ammonia were at 0 before adding crew.

I'll watch and do sm w/c as you advised.

Thanks,

Robert

Archived