Pod Your Reef

Starting reef soon...

formliquid

Hello everybody. I have been lurking for about 3 weeks now. I used to run message boards and was sick of newbies posting the same questions over and over again, so I tried to do my research. I have made a list of the things I need to run my tank and I would like some comments.

10g Tank

Ebo Jager 50w or 75w heater

PC 2x36 10k & Actinic

Marineland's Penguin Powerhead 550 (2?)

Instant Ocean

Specific gravity meter (1.023)

Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reed Sand 10lbs

10# Live Rock from Aquatic Wherehouse (here in SD)

Some sort of test kit

Does all of this look good to get started? I won't start my tank for about another 2 weeks (I have to move soon). Does all this sound good? Any comments about anything else I should buy?

Thanks!!

Sounds good. Personally, I would ditch one of the powerheads and use an empty HOB filter like an Aqua Clear 200. This will give you plenty of circulation and will allow you to run media like floss/carbon/phosphate remover should it become neccessary. I'd also double the amount of LR you have planned. Good luck to you, Trent Tilton (cool name, BTW).

Originally posted by Satchmo

Sounds good.  Personally, I would ditch one of the powerheads and use an empty HOB filter like an Aqua Clear 200.  This will give you plenty of circulation and will allow you to run media like floss/carbon/phosphate remover should it become neccessary.  I'd also double the amount of LR you have planned.  Good luck to you, Trent Tilton (cool name, BTW).

Thanks for the help. I didn't even think about using a HOB, but now that you say it, that makes sense.

Thanks for telling me I have a cool name!! haha!

:)

printerdown01

I'm with Satch. And like satch stated it will allow you to run all kinds of good stuff ;). I like penguins, just because they are reliable -but it's just a personal preference. I think a penguin mini will run you about $20 (and it comes with carbon). Also make sure you use RO/DI water on your tank! It is really easy to get a hold on in SD (I think even Aquatic sells it). Here is a link to a thread telling where you can get free natural sea water in San Diego: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=Scripts if you are interested. BTW, everything else looks GREAT! You have obvioulsy done your homework and your tank will thank you in the long run...

Originally posted by printerdown01

I'm with Satch. And like satch stated it will allow you to run all kinds of good stuff ;). I like penguins, just because they are reliable -but it's just a personal preference. I think a penguin mini will run you about $20 (and it comes with carbon). Also make sure you use RO/DI water on your tank! It is really easy to get a hold on in SD (I think even Aquatic sells it). Here is a link to a thread telling where you can get free natural sea water in San Diego: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=Scripts if you are interested. BTW, everything else looks GREAT! You have obvioulsy done your homework and your tank will thank you in the long run...

Thanks for the help and good ideas. I knew about the water at Scripps, but I have heard conflicting reports on if the water was safe or not. I have searched these forums up and down and have found a few people whos tanks it crashed -- I don't need that.

Thanks!

I haven't yet started my nano and posed a similar ?. The only difference was using quick filters that snap onto your PH. You could put in your carbon ect in the filter. Is there any major disadvantages with this idea? I first started off wanting to use my Penguin 125 HOB with a PH but it seemed everyone told me to ditch the HOB and get a PH instead. I kinda wanted to stay clear of the HOB because when I was using it with my freshwater tank with normal lights I had an extreme amount of evaporation compared to my other tank. But what do I know I don't have any experience yet.

Depends on how much hardware you want in your tank. You don't want a hang on filter with any biomedia because of the high probability that you'll create too many nitrates for your tank to eliminate. An empty hang-on filter is nice because it provides a place for you to put things like carbon without stuffing your tank with things. Or a place to put your small refugium.

John

Archived