Cultivated Reef

2 new hitchikers

Fanof49ASU

Sorry for the blurry pic, but it was a tough angle.

This circular shape is stationary. It appears to have something protruding from the center....like a feather duster.

I thought at first I had a very bad snail.

1ufo.jpg

Next, is another tough one. Better photo, but I could only get the bottom side.

2ufo.jpg

The first one looks like some sort of limpet... they're molluscs and to the best of my (limited) knowledge they're pretty harmless algae eaters.

No clue on the second one.

I know this is off topic, but, I was wondering if you ever got a mate for your maroon. I am considering it and would like some first hand experience info. :)

Limpets apparently are known to have one established spot where they'll return after foraging. Maybe you just haven't seen him on the move? It certainly LOOKS like a limpet to me...

Otherwise, maybe a type of barnacle? I've never seen one shaped so flat like that, but they do have a feathery appendage that appears from the center of their body. And they ARE sedentary. It's just strange to only see one.

I'm just dredging up my invertebrate biology class here, I'm sure someone else can offer more. :)

I know this is off topic, but, I was wondering if you ever got a mate for your maroon. I am considering it and would like some first hand experience info. :)

I haven't yet....but I want to try it in the future. I've heard it can be difficult. If you can separate the tank with a dividing wall, it will make the introduction slower and possibly more successful.

• 2 weeks later...
Limpets apparently are known to have one established spot where they'll return after foraging. Maybe you just haven't seen him on the move? It certainly LOOKS like a limpet to me...

Otherwise, maybe a type of barnacle? I've never seen one shaped so flat like that, but they do have a feathery appendage that appears from the center of their body. And they ARE sedentary. It's just strange to only see one.

I'm just dredging up my invertebrate biology class here, I'm sure someone else can offer more. :)

You guys/gals were right. It is a limpet and it does move. It will stay in one location for a VERY LONG TIME.

You guys/gals were right. It is a limpet and it does move. It will stay in one location for a VERY LONG TIME.

Limpets good or bad? I have read both. The reason im asking is because of a recent outbreak of prob hundreds in my tank :huh:

Limpets good or bad? I have read both. The reason im asking is because of a recent outbreak of prob hundreds in my tank :huh:

According to Melevsreef, they're reef safe.

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard some limpets will eat soft corals. They are also fond of coraline as well. Any way to tell the good from the bad? I've got one that is all orange and soft looking. The other looks more like a normal limpet. I also had a nice soft coral that was about the size of a dime on one of my live rocks. Now I have a coral skeleton. I'm guessing it became limpet food...

Hey that second one is the same thing I found today. It makes some crazy snapping sounds like my Pistol Shrimp and lunges at my hermits!

Anyone know what it is?

Archived