inTank Media Baskets

New to this Help!!

rYdar

I currently own a 20gal long fw tank*planted*Takashi Amano style.  But now I've been looking foward to establishing a saltwater tank, but I wish to start small.  I'm thinking 10gallons>15gallons? Anyways can you guys help me as to how to start this? I've seen posts and pictures, but they only increase my hunger for such beautiful sights.  Please explain the cycle process, tools needed, and such. Anything will be appreciated! I live in NJ, North NJ. Thanks!

NanoReefer53

Welcome to the hobby =D

Since you keep an Amano set-up, i assume u know at least the basics of keeping an aquarium. Just don't siphon your gravel like u normally would in a fw aquarium.

equipment

-salt

-hydrometer

-live rock

-live sand

-good lighting

-powerhead(s)

-test kit

getting expensive yet =P

your in the right place to start :)

come visit us sometimes at the nano-reef chat to learn more :). there are many members that would be glad to help you out

have fun ..

yea you can say that, ive been keeping fish since i was 7 =P then i stopped at 10, MOVED TO US from MALAYSIA, began fish keeping again sep of 2001.. can i get the average $$ on a basic requirement setup?

i have a 7 gallon nano-reef and it cost me about $340 for the whose set up.....

but i would recommend you to get one of the tanks at atlantica aquariums...its 7.5 gallon with refugium....

better yet wait for the 18 gallon :)

oh..yea? btw what is this whole deal w/ refugiums? and when does that 18gal come out? and why doesnt my chat work? haha...

chris...the webmaster/moderator of this site has plans on releasing his new 18 gallons....i dunno when...he said, he could start now...but i guess he's still busy building the 7.5's

(Edited by Stryf3 at 11:49 pm on April 20, 2002)

NanoReefer53

you can always do the poor man's way of reefing (like me)

-buy some good base rock and a little live rock and overtime it'll become live.

-buy sand from the store but get a bit of live sand and overtime it'll become live.

I can get you some deals on lighting if u need.

Rydar...we had a lil distraction at the chatroom :(

but it really depends on what you plan to keep....im just trying to help you out with the lighting..

so you dont have to buy somthing now...and upgrade later on...its just a waste of money....

i know someone told you that 32watt is way too much for a 10 gallon....but if you ask and see other people's tanks.....you can start learning from there.....

with PC's watt's per gallon is not really the issue...its intensity.

20 gallon long tanks are really cool for a nano-reef. Plus you will want to add more and more as you discover things. t may be more expensive, but it looks like nanoreefer53 can help u there.  

hey nanoreefer53 i have a question about the live rock and base rock whats the difference price wise and phically i need about 40 lbs of rock how much live rock will i need and haow much base will i need?thanks for your help if you can e mail me and tell me my e mail is cjm033@aol.com and it is a zero after the m,Chris

Archived