Top Shelf Aquatics

Anemone?

hollister_08

Alright i was wanting to put a anemone in my 30gal, i dont really now what type of anemones are hardy... i dont want a BTA iv tried and i dont like them because they move to much, and all so like to go behind the rocks... anyway i have a 175 MH on my tank....

Any anemone is subject to moving around if not satisfied with lighting, flow, or foot placement. I have a haitian pink tipped anemone in my 33g cube. It hasn't moved more than two inches since I placed it in the tank, around the end of September.

Any anemone is subject to moving around if not satisfied with lighting, flow, or foot placement. I have a haitian pink tipped anemone in my 33g cube. It hasn't moved more than two inches since I placed it in the tank, around the end of September.

Ya but it just seems that BTA's move more than any anemone i have ever had... and plus i want to keep a pair of true percs....

Ya but it just seems that BTA's move more than any anemone i have ever had... and plus i want to keep a pair of true percs....

I had a gbta before the haitian and it only moved down, away from the 175w mh. It hosted my maroon. The haitian now hosts the maroon. :)

I had a gbta before the haitian and it only moved down, away from the 175w mh. It hosted my maroon. The haitian now hosts the maroon. :)

i had 2 or 3 BTA's and they all ways went under the rock then finally would just disapear, i guess just didnt get light and died..

I moved in February and lost my skimmer in the process. My bta died, I think as a result. I now have an Aqua C Remora. Are you running a skimmer?

Not trying to pi$$ on your parade here..... If you failed with a BTA, chances are, you'll fail with most other anemones. BTA's are among the most hearty of nem's.

Perc's will host just about anything, including BTA's.

Here is proof.

BTAClowns.jpg

That's in an NC 12, 96 watts of PC, a Rio 800 and MJ 900 on a wave maker, and no protein skimmer.

I moved in February and lost my skimmer in the process. My bta died, I think as a result. I now have an Aqua C Remora. Are you running a skimmer?

Yes i am running a prizm skimmer, but here in a couple days, hopefully tommorow i will get my refugium up and running. i was wanting to know what do you or anyone else think about ritter anemones????

Not trying to pi$$ on your parade here..... If you failed with a BTA, chances are, you'll fail with most other anemones. BTA's are among the most hearty of nem's.

Perc's will host just about anything, including BTA's.

Here is proof.

BTAClowns.jpg

That's in an NC 12, 96 watts of PC, a Rio 800 and MJ 900 on a wave maker, and no protein skimmer.

I didnt fail at them, i cant control where in the tank they go!!!!!!!! everytime i had one it went behind the rocks and wouldnt come out, and i cant tear down the tank just to get it out i have corals. and my fish i dont want to stress out....

How long has your tank been set up?

EDIT: I am not suggesting that nems require skimming. But, it doesn't hurt.

Tank has been set up for about 8 months... And ya it is always good to have a skimmer just in case something gets in your water...

There are a lot of variables. Flow, temp fluctuation, dosing, salinity changes with evaporation and top offs. Something is just not quite right if you lose three btas. Did you get them all from the same source?

There are a lot of variables. Flow, temp fluctuation, dosing, salinity changes with evaporation and top offs. Something is just not quite right if you lose three btas. Did you get them all from the same source?

No i didnt, i got i through the mail, it did good untill it went behind the rock, then the other two, i got from two diff local pet stores, they also did good till they went behind the rock..

They moved because they weren't happy. Simple as that. Don't get another anemone until you've figured out exactly what is wrong in your system.

They moved because they weren't happy. Simple as that. Don't get another anemone until you've figured out exactly what is wrong in your system.

I wasnt going to get another one, untill i figured it out anyway!!!! thanks B)

I didn't mean to sound harsh, you were just coming off to me as being stubborn.

its alright its not like we are talkin face to face, you now what im sayin... but ya i dont know, i will probly just see when i get my true percs, they will proby host in my frogspawn or hammer coral....

I agree with Ray. If you're having trouble with BTAs, you probably should forget other anemones.

Riterri (heteractis magnifica) is probably the most difficult anemone to keep. Even experienced aquarists struggle to keep these guys alive. Finding a healthy specimen is very difficult, and they require big tanks with perfect water conditions.

Other carpet anemones (i.e., haddonis) also have high light and water quality demands, and are notorious fish eaters besides - even clowns that appear to be hosting them.

Maroons are the only clowns I've ever heard of hosting a condylactis, and that is rare. These anemones come from an area of the Caribbean where clowns do not occur.

Just so I'm not a complete wet blanket, you could try another BTA if you've got your heart set on it. However, I would try to figure out what happened. They're actually pretty tough as anemones go.

Your issues may be flow (too much or too little) or water quality. You've got plenty of light, but I don't think that would explain their disappearance. Both of my BTAs took turns hiding in the rocks and moving around until they acclimated to my lighting (2X150 HQI), but they eventually came out and are now front and center.

You don't say what else is in your tank, but BTAs can be sensitive to chemicals put out by a number of corals (leathers, toadstools, zoos) or other anemones.

Finally, Ray's pics notwithstanding, there's no guarantee that your clowns will even go near an anemone. Mine have steadfastly ignored both of my BTAs. They're young and CB, so I'm hoping they'll get it eventually. Who knows? The anemones are so cool, I don't care.

HTH.

Archived