ReefCleaners.org

Making Xenia Grow

Foogoo

I have a medium sized stalk of what I believe is pom pom xenia in my 10g nano for about a month now. It is very healthy, pumping well and it has been growing lots of polyps. It has not however spread it's base like so many people report. Is there anything I can do to get it to spread? I occasionally dose iodine and last time I checked the pH it was 8.1.

It will spread by division. Your stalk will get thick and then look like it is slowly getting chopped in half. Several weeks later you got a whole new frag.

A better question would be, how do you keep it from growing? :) If it is healthy, you can cut it up if you want to force it to spread.

printerdown01

Hey Foogoo, Oscar is right... Be careful what you wish for! When praying for Xenia to start multiplying, thou might just gettith what thy asks for! I would be soooooo happy if I had your problem. In fact my xenia is as bad as my flatworm problem -both seem to be multiplying at the same rate :woot:

*Hey Impha ever read "Beowulf" (reffering to your sig).

Why don't you people with the overgrowing xenia frag it? I couldn't find a trace of xenia in my area and finally snagged my frag for $20 at the lfs... I had no other choice.

Someone here told me to wedge my xenia clump against a rock or shell. It will stick to it and after a week cut it off and both pieces will recover nicely. Even if you completely cut off the head of the original and leave just a stump. I tried it and it has worked perfectly about 8 times.

Archived