ReefCleaners.org

Feather Duster Help

qazplm25

I bought some Live rock Yesterday and This morning while marveling at It i observed a feather Like thing. I didnt think twice and when I looked again a little later all I saw was its tube and realized it was a Feather duster worm!

Now it hasnt opened since. How do you get it to open, or is it just stressed that it moves and will open in a few days.

That was my biggest tube-like-thing, but on the Live rock there are other smaller tubes that might also be feather duster worms.

Thanks Dz6t for the Rock!

non-photosynt

Try to place feather duster not facing strong flow - better slightly aside and facing sideway. It should opens in a day or two after tank feeding.

tank feeding!

what am i supposed to feed them.

Note i got the Live rock yesterday and havent though about food or anything because i dont have any coral, fish, shrimp, or anything I bought.

Please Help!

Right now you have to be patient. Let your tank cycle and if it survives you can concentrate on its diet. You can read the forums and find alot of info on the husbandry of these creatures. You didn't mention how big it was. It is common to get LR that is populated by small feather dusters. They form white calcreous tubes 1/4 up to 2 inches long. If this is what you have, they are virtually maintenance free. They will feed on detritus and small particle matter in the water column. Given time and proper water quality they will multiply-a sign of a healthy ecosystem. If you have a sandbed or any substrate you can gently stir it up on occasion as this will release microscopic detritus into the water and these guys will feed on it. Patience and knowledge are key to any reefing endeavour-good luck.

I'm pretty sure mine is a small one.

Its tube looks like its an 3/4 inch long and its white. Theres some Red algae growing on top of some of the tube though.

Its also starting to come out! although everytime i take the lid off or something it goes back in. When out the length from top of the dusters to the bottom i'd say is about 1cm or 1/2 an inch long

Archived