Coral Vue Hydros

Starting a RESUN DMS-400 for nephew.

somoney

These 12.5G Tanks are the cheapest AllInOne nano you can buy right now.

Picture179.jpg

Out Of the BOX:

Picture181.jpg

Installed with 2x15watt MiniPC bulbs. One 10k, and One Actinic.

It even comes with moon lights and a fan!

Picture177.jpg

Quad chamber design, includes sponge, ceramic rings, Carbon/BioBalls, and pump.

Picture183.jpg

The top over the mini PC Lights pops right off allowing a hacker easy access for lighting modifications.

Picture186.jpg

$100 Out the door. Just add Salt, Water, and Live Rock.

This will be a Christmas present for the family and Ill be visiting once a week for parameter checks, and water changes if needed. My goal with this tank is to toss a couple clowns in and some hearty soft corals like GSP.

Thoughts?

Too small for a pair of clowns IMO.... You can get away with one in there though... Looks pretty good for the price, although the lighting seems abit underpowered, you should be fine for some heaty softies....

I plan on 5lb LS & 15lb LR so bio load wise its not an issue. I should have stated "False Percula's". I think there smaller.

While I would whole hardily agree adding a second clown to a 12G risky, the reason for introducing two clowns early would be to lessen the likelyhood of a territorial dispute between them. Ive read horror stories about fighting clowns when introducing a 2nd clown where the 1st clown is master of the tank. I'll find a LFS with a heavily stocked Clown tank where there all used to eachother.

Coralife sells 2x20Watt 50/50 PC bulbs that I can screw in replacing the stock 2x15w. upping the wattage to 40watts.

You can easily sustain 2 clowns in a tank of that size. Ignore the previous poster. If you want to make it easy on yourself, pay a bit extra and find a mated pair of clowns. This will make it nice because there won't be any fighting except for the female keeping the male in line. ;)

If you do get 2 out of the same tank as you said, then make sure you get one larger than the other. This will help "assist" the sex-change process if they do end up being the same size.

As far as corals, go with zoanthids and mushrooms. GSP works, but if it takes over, you're done. Haha. I have a NC12DX in my bedroom here at home (with said corals) that I leave my grandmother in charge of while I'm off @ college.

Make sure you get a heater for the tank. I can see that the tank has a fan that blows into the tank, not into the lighting chamber. This might cause some issues, but IDK. All depends on how much heat those lights generate. No matter what, get a heater. It only turns on to keep the temperature above a certain number, it doesn't just heat away. It helps w/ the stability so much in these small tanks.

Good luck and have fun with it! Just go slow!

Im talking about the amount of water in the tank, not them fighting... I am going to say it is like EVERY all in one out there and now actually hold 12.5 gallons of water, Im going to guess itll hold 11. After you put in 5 pounds of sand and 15 pounds of roch, youre going to have probably 8 gallons of water in there. Not enough for a pair of clowns IMO, but to each his own I suppose. -_-

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, nice tank! I also have this tank, and it is working out nice!

Have a couple of questions! Are you sure one of the light bulbs are 10k? Min was 6500K, and can you also please post a link where i can by replacement light bulbes.

Good luck with the tank.

Hi, nice tank! I also have this tank, and it is working out nice!

Have a couple of questions! Are you sure one of the light bulbs are 10k? Min was 6500K, and can you also please post a link where i can by replacement light bulbes.

Good luck with the tank.

Yeah I would like to know also!

Yeah I would like to know also!

Okay guys, The tank has been up and running for a couple weeks now, I transfered LS/LR from my tank into this one, and 10 snails. Cycle time was less than a week since the LR/LS was already established and filled with critters.

After the first week Nitrates/Nitrites0, PH8.2, Sal1.021.

Added a LR with some GSP on it, and they added two matted Percs, a watchman, and cleaner shrimp.

I think your rigt about the 6500K bulb tin there so I replaced the Lighting in the unit with two 20W Coralife 50/50 mini PCbulbs. They screw into existing sockets, and JUST FIT! The lighting in the unit much better now than the cheap 18W (yea right) that come with it.

FAILURES: The Fan failed after the first week. Heat hoveres arround 78deg without it, so Ill be swapping the fan out next week.

Ill take a couple FTS and get back to you guys.

FAILURES: The Fan failed after the first week. Heat hoveres arround 78deg without it, so Ill be swapping the fan out next week.

Jes im not sure the people at resun got there fan technology right! They have mounted my fan on my moonlights! ;)

Anyways, i was checking out those lights you have changed to, I am deffinetly going to get some of those.. How mutch better would you say the light became? cant wait to see some photos. :D

I have changed my original bulbes twice now, they are loosing light fast and i have only had the tank running for 3month, so i have to do something soon.

also i was woundering if there is any use installing a jbj surface skimmer on this unit? jes i am a noob :D

alright... i am using a resun nano myself too.. Lightings are definitely insufficient so ive added 2 x27W PL and 1 x 26W energy saver bulb and another 1x18w. I use an ice probe to control the temp and it is between 27c to 29c. Anyway this is the FTS. ill post modification pics tomorrow... anyway i have 5 pumps running in it. Feel free to comment.

post-12576-1169179497_thumb.jpg

Hi, chuck, I think your tank looks great! I wish there was a bigger interest for reefing in my city. :( Anyways.. would you please post some pictures of your lighting mod? and please write the whole names for the added lighting fixtures :D I dont know what those shorts are, make of light! :huh::D

Archived