Top Shelf Aquatics

Boston...new reefer here...

fenris

Is there anyone in here from the boston area here.. I wanna set up a nano here..thinking 10 gallon, but this is my first saltwater tank, so I want some help and some advice. Ive done the freshwater plant thing...and I can grow pretty much everything....so I think I'm doing a pretty good job with my husbandry.

Okay..heres what I wanna do..

3 18" NO fluorescent....in series, overdriven 4x ...should put out about 120 W of usable light...and I get 3 bulbs to choose colors with....

what could I grow under this? (corals etc..)

how much live rock do I need to buy? read something on Garf.org about making base rock..can I do that?

would someone be willing to give me a cup of their live sand?...I can give you a cup of sand in exchange....hehe...:blush:

if any of you do the freshwater plants thing, I could also trade plants...fry etc for anything you'd be willing to give in order to help me start out.

Thanks a bunch

Rich

Boston/Walpole Ma

I don't think you'll be able to do much with NO flourescents. It's not ALL about wattage. You want a good spectrum along with high intensity (one thing NO flourescents don't have) to penetrate the lower levels of your tank with light.

Look into powercompact lighting. Alot of intensity in a small package. Or even better, metal halide bulbs. Though halides produce ALOT of heat.

Don't get me wrong, you can probably keep a variety of buttons and shrooms under NO flourescents. But you'll have much more success with higher intensity lighting.

As for rock, 1-2 lbs per gallon is the rule of thumb. I'd suggest using all real live rock. Especially in a nano where there isn't much room to throw base rock.

John

• 4 months later...

In the Boston area you should check out this fish store. They have 3 Nanos running in the store and are very helpful!!

Boston Tropical

243 Msgr O'Brien Hwy

Cambridge, MA 02141

(617) 623-4244

This place is very helpful too. I got my LR there. Pretty hit or miss in terms of selection of fish and coral though.

Gills Tropical Fish

361 Boylston St

Brookline, MA 02116

The best livestock place in the Boston area I have found is

Exotic Marine Fish Wholesalers

65 Hancock St

Everett, MA 02149

(617)-389-7258

Great coral but definatly a little misleading about how easy it will be to care for the $40 item he is selling you.

I just went to Skiptons in Boston. Awesome. TONS OF REEF STUFF!! Pretty helpful too! Prices are good.

70 Southhampton St

Boston, MA 02188

1800-pet-menu

Archived