Innovative Marine Aquariums

Big fireworm

akaMonkey

The other day I dropped some pellets in my tank for my nassarius and peppermint shrimp, and what omes out of the rock but what must have been a 4" fireworm. It pokes around for a while and then swallows the pellet whole. It was very cool. This must have been the one I saw that "cleaned up" my dead hermit crab.

I gather opinions on these guys is mized. If it was your tank, would you leave it or remove it, and why?

I would trap and remove it.

I would be very uninterested in being stung by it or having it nibble on my other livestock.

They will eat corals and fish if they get hungry enough, and they will get hungry enough as they get bigger.

Fireworms are bad!

Bristleworms arent......

We need a photo for id!

And they dont really sting, more like the just prick you kinda like a sticker bur in your yard!...maybe if you had an open cut they would.

A fireworm will eat corals and clams......Bristle worms will tear open hawiian dusters and try to eat them. Other than that they are cool!

I have one that is nearly 8 inches long in my 30. I got stuck by it pretty good about a month ago. Not a good thing, I got really sick and my fingers felt like they were being burned off by a cutting torch. If you can catch it, get it out of your tank. Or if you don't want to kill it, just put it in your fuge (if you have one that is).

Fire Worms belong to a family known as Eunicids which ar predatory. These worms grow rapidely so should be removed as soon as possible. To remove one of these worms remove the burrow. If the worm is completely within the rock, flush the rock with soda until it crawls out. If the worm is to large for a sigle rock you must find and remove ever portion of the worm. Small peaces of the worm can regenerate both back and front ends.

Marine Fish and Reef Magazine.

:huh:

I just picked up a copy of that magazine, and in my copy it says "The fireworms, which are the taxonomic family Amphinomidae, are very common in aquaria. I want to bring up the fact that in general, they are the most beneficial and desirable animals to have in a marine aquarium."

What issue are you quoting from? Mine is the most recent issue, the 2007 annual, in the article titled Worms: The Good, the Bad and the Wiggly by Ronald L. Shimeck, Ph.D.

:huh:

I just picked up a copy of that magazine, and in my copy it says "The fireworms, which are the taxonomic family Amphinomidae, are very common in aquaria. I want to bring up the fact that in general, they are the most beneficial and desirable animals to have in a marine aquarium."

What issue are you quoting from? Mine is the most recent issue, the 2007 annual, in the article titled Worms: The Good, the Bad and the Wiggly by Ronald L. Shimeck, Ph.D.

your right, i tuch it form the rong paragraph. ;)

Archived