SaltCritters.com

Updated Pics

jrhietikko

Here is some new pictures I took tonight of my 5gallon. i have 39watts of PC lighting, rio50, and so on and so on.

about 6 months old. I know i had a request of a pic of my clam from an older post. its been doing great and i still need to get the micro-vert for it ive been meaning to get. i wanted to get one of the blue maximas, but those were like 50-60 bucks for the size of the $20 gold one i got.

Id like any comments, questions, or whatever feedback you can give.

if anyone wants anymore pics of details, please ask. because i dont get to use my borrowed digi cam that often.

Clam1.jpg

gold maxima clam, about 2"

Clam3.jpg

new 1" maxima, 3 days old

Harlequin3.jpg

a few polyps, and my favorite harlequin shrimp

yellow%20polyps.jpg

yellow polyps, margarita snail

tankcenter.jpg

zoomed out shot of the center of my tank.

tankfull2.jpg

full tank shot

(Edited by jrhietikko at 11:11 pm on April 24, 2002)

heres a cool pic of those hydroid jellyfish (is that right?)

its fun to see these swim too. after i took the pic, i slided my magnet up to it and scared it off. and they swim like jellyfish (duh). its cool to watch.

all those little specs around the glass are pods. i have millions. sort of an infestation, but its all good.

Hydriod.jpg

(Edited by jrhietikko at 11:11 pm on April 24, 2002)

maybe this is in another post somewhere, but do you feed those clams anything?  How long have you had them?  I would like to get one, but I thought I would have to feed it pretty often in a small tank.

i havnt fed my clams anything yet. theyre just using whats in the water. but they do eat phytoplankton, which is in kent micro-vert. im planning on getting that pretty soon, feed all my corals, and maybe even spot feed my clams.

thanks for the repies, those are maxima clams, i labled the pics.

Very nice tank.

Those size clams require HEAVY feeding.  If you don't, they will starve to death.  Light and stuff in the water is not enough to keep them alive at this size.  

DTs Phytoplankton is one of the best things you can feed.  I would go with it for your clams.

here are some better shots of the clams. from up top. the colors in the blue one show up alot better.

gold1.jpg

blue1.jpg

(Edited by jrhietikko at 11:12 pm on April 24, 2002)

the tank is a 5 gallon i got from wallmart. its called Galaxy 5. I think its by regent (not sure), but its exactly the same as the eclipse 6 and 12, but only a 5. i know around here its about 80 bucks for a system 6, but this 5 was only 50 bucks.

im not using anything that it came with, i thought i would need the filtering and lighting for saltwater, then i got into the corals and realized all that extra stuff you pay for is useless.

update.

star polyps, which are fairly new, are now pretty secure to the rocks (after just laying them there), and multiplying already.

and i just noticed a small starfish (maybe a brittle or serpant looking), about the size of a nickle. came out for a second before i could get a pic. (the thing better be kept hidden from my shrimp, hes hungry)

Archived