ReefCleaners.org

Red Collar Snail

caja

Is anyone keeping a red foot moon snail (red collar) in their nano? My local marine store recommended one to help control the green and red algae that I've got growing on my glass. The turbo isn't doing much and my bumble bees are basically useless. They look cool though!

This snail is about 1 1/2 inches big, and the max size said 2". Seems a bit big to me for a nano.

Here's the info on the snail.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...d=23&pCatId=570

He he he, I paid $2.50 for mine and picked it up locally. No S&H!

I also just noticed that it said maximum aquarium temperature of 74 degrees. My nano runs around 80 degrees average. Hmmm.

FYI, bumblebee snails should be useless when it comes to algal control because they are not herbivores. They are largely predatory on small inverts and eat carrion as well...there are rumors they'll eat detritus.

Forgot to say, Norrisia really are sensitive to higher temps and will become less active and die if exposed to "reef" temps. I wouldn't bother with one, especially in a nano.

My bumblebee snails only go for left over food. I think they are great because I never have an overfeeding problem. I swear that if I were to put in the whole tray of food they would eat it all before it effects my water. I have various other inverts and they never go after anything unless its good and dead. As a matter of fact everytime they collect around an area I know something is about to die.

Archived