Cultivated Reef

Lighting for a 28 bow

threeman33

Ok. I am trying to get an idea of what type of light I need to get for my first nano. The tank is currently empty until I get all my planning (also money) together. The tank is 24" wide and the empty bottom is only 18"deep. After I put in my sand I imagine from hood to top of sand will be 15" deep.

Since it is going to be my first try at a nano I am only going to keep hardy softies. I may want to do some SPS (if that is the type that requires less light, all the research I have done the last month is making my mind go in circles.) I know the standard lights will not work even when I add another standard light from another tank just for temp. Or am I wrong. Both lights are 13w.

Any suggestions would be greatly apprecated.:o

The common light for your setup would be a dual 65/55 watt Power Compact Fixture. They will run you about $140. Hellolights.com has these coralife ones for about that. Or you could order a DIY kit from ahsupply.com and make your own custom canopy. The ultimate fixture for that size tank would be a 175watt metal halide @ 10,000K.

Do a search for my recent threads about that 28 bow. As several people pointed out, that center brace is potential bad news. I would recommend going with the All-Glass 26 bow instead. It has thicker glass, better seals, and no center brace.

I tried to perform a search, but I came back with nothing. Well I did get some good ideas. So can you give me a breif description about what is wrong with the brace? The only thing I can come up with is that 1)You can not put large peices of live rock in it 2)It may inhibit lighting. Is there anything else you can add about it?

Thanks

Archived