Cultivated Reef

How dose this sound?

SaltyDawg

1-175watt 10000k halide with two20 watt NO actinic bulbs? Or 1-175watt halide and 2 -75 watt VHO actinics? For my 29g reef?

Oh yeah, the canopy I have biult will leave the halide about 6 inches off the water with dual cooling fans will this work? ( With a splash gaurd.)

Hey Dawg,

How about one of the 20k bulbs I've heard peeps talk about? I think they give off a nice "blue" tint. What about a couple of AH 13w kits with Ac03 bulbs? I guess I'm wondering why the NO bulbs? Unless, it one of those "got them lying around" type of deals.

Welll my thoughts behind the NO were that I only want the actinic to make my corals glow. Also to off set the bright white with the 10k bulb. I can get the NO balast's for 3.50 a pop versus the 15 a pop pc 13 watt ballast's and the out put in my tank at that depth would probably be the same. So yes I want to go a cheap as possoble :)

Another thought was heat. I want as little heat as possible and the NO barely get warm to the touch. well they get "hot" but not enough to matter. Just curious on other Ideas and thoughts and your is apreciated!

Didn't some one here post that HD ballasts ($3.49/ea) will run the 13w PC just fine.......maybe they get to hot?

You're right NO get warm at best!

Yes it was me and as long as you give your self enough wire to remotely mount the ballast's heat is not an issue. The part number on the NO ballast's is 200-H2 and is made by magnatek. each 20 watt no ballast's I have mentioned will run one 13w 50/50 from hellolights.com.

Doh! I though for a second after I posted that message, that you were the HD pioneer!!! BTW, I went to D that day and bought 4 or 5 of the ballast. They work great for reef and frog tanks too!

Frog tank's? Pioneer? You been smoking again man?

How many times do I have to tell you to share with the GROUP!

HEHEHEhehehehe.......!;)

Yeah, reefin' my hobby, and frog are my wifes. Which, by default, means its my hobby too, since I'm the power tools guys. She's more of the architech of the tanks and I build'em. We keep mostly dart frogs, but she has a few others as well.

Archived