inTank Media Baskets

Zenia Feeding And Care

SuperflyFanatic

SuperflyFanatic

I'm having a hard time finding information on what makes a zenia thrive.

What do they eat?

What pH and temp do they prefer?

What kind of currents do they like or dislike?

What are their light preferences?

Any other pointers or tips?

BustytheSnowMaam

They like med- to high light, little current (blows them around too much and bothers them, in my experience). They are photosynthetic, don't need to be fed. I'm not sure about pH, they do have a preference there but I can't recall what it is, they are sensitive to big swings in pH. I would say temp should be 78-82. If you get a good variety, it should do well almost no matter what and grow like a weed. My xenia is odd, it only pulses at night and just sways in the breeze during the day, but it has grown quite a bit since I first acquired it.

Tasha

printerdown01

Q:What do they eat?

A: No one knows. Judging by the fact that they to pack nematocysts and they do seem to exibit a "feeding mechanism" we do believe that they CAN eat, or at least the coral from which they decended could. They can however thrive off of lighting (and absorb whatever else they need from the water). In other words: no special feeding required.

Q:What pH and temp do they prefer?

A: They seem to be fine with temps and pHs that are within the "acceptable" rang for reef tanks. Their pulse rate will vary with pH, but this doesn't seem to affect health.

Q:What kind of currents do they like or dislike?

A: Moderate IME. Some prefer strong.

Q: What are their light preferences?

A: Depends on your tank size ;)

Q: Any other pointers or tips?

A: This is a great beginner coral. Don't bother paying full price at the LFS! Find a nano-reefer in your area and ask for a frag. Pay them at discount instead. This stuff grows very quickly, so be careful. It also has a tendency as it multiplies to travel down stream. My suggestion would be to start the colony "down stream" to minimize the amount of area the xenia will cover as it grows, or it will quickly become a pain in the butt.

Archived