Coral Vue Hydros

Ph @ 8.0

DAP

I have had my 15g Nano set up for about 7 months, my PH is constant at 8.0.

I verified this with a pinpoint PH monitor and two different test kits.

How can I get it to 8.2 or 8.3

I dose everyday with B-ionic, and thats it.

5 gallon water changes weekly

I use RO/DI water, which I tested and IIRC has a PH of 7.2, for top offs and making new water.

I feed my anemone's and angler frozen/thawed silversides.

No fish in tank except the angler.

I feed phytoplankton and Iodine for the mushrooms approx 3 times a week.

I need a new calcium and alkalinity kit so I can test them, but water temp is 81, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are 0.

I have too much rock and a 2" deep sand bed.

Thanks

I'm currently in your situation. pH is 8.0, Calcium 400 or so ppm, Alkalinity 3.77 meq/L. Ideally, I'd love to see my pH at 8.3. My approach to solving the problem is dosing Kalkwasswer in my topoff water in addition to dosing B-Ionic. We'll see how it works after a month or so of dosing Kalk.

Oh, my SG is at 1.023, temp at 78 degrees. And I use distilled/RO water from Walmart for all of my water.

John

Bleeding Blue

Kalkwasswer is a great plan, and in fact I get my pickling lime from wallmart too. My only warning is to keep an eye on your buffer while dosing Kalkwasswer.

ok - 8.0 isn't really a problem in your situations given your tank, but you should definatly keep an eye on it. - 8.2-8.3 is optimal in most situations, but 8.0 is acceptable.

I'd be willing to bet big $$$ that your lower PH is due to slight overfeeding (decomposition of uneaten food will drop your PH). Cut back a bit on the feeding and i think you'll gradually see an increase in your ph over the next month or so - might take up to two months before you reach 8.3. - keep an eye on it, but don't let it bother you to much.

I would take that bet !!! LOL

I hand feed everything in my tank, I even give my mean old emerald crab a small silverside head to gnaw on, which somehow he eats completely.

There is ZERO uneaten food. I only feed three times a week, except for my "condy" which is 1 silverside every other day.

I do agree that decomposition of uneaten food will definetly drop your PH, thats why I underfeed.

I read the label on Kent marine Kalkwasser, and it said it wont raise your PH if added slowly, which is the only way I could in a 15gallon.

I don't know why people think "uneaten" food is any more of a problem than "eaten" food.

When you put anthing organic in your tank, it WILL be eaten; if it isn't ingested by an animal, the bacteria in the tank will be happy to take care of it. Fact is that when the food is metabolized the exact same amount of "waste" is produced. It doesn't matter if it is made by fish, shrimp, corals, or bacteria. It is all the SAME.

If you consider it a problem, the problem is the AMOUNT of food offered, not what eats it.

Steve, You are correct, Thanks for pointing that out. I am the first to admit that I am still in the learning stage and probably will be there forever. LOL

Well, while I wait on my test kits to arrive, I decided to test the PH of my brand new batch of saltwater I made. The water with salt sat for about 4 days, I ran an 800 GPH power head and a heater in the 5 gallon bucket the whole time. I used IO salt and RO/DI water.

My PH is 8.0, salinity 1.025, temperature 80 degrees.

OH, my RO/DI unit is 1 month old, it is KENT brand.

I hope this isn't a dumb question............ Isn't there something in the ingredients of IO that is supposed to bring your PH up to 8.3 ?

My angler will be leaving the tank soon(not because of the PH), because I will be upgrading my tank to a 29. My 15 will be set up without him for a few months at least, so I will see how the lack of food and waste have an effect on the PH. There are no other fish in the tank, so I wont have to feed.

Thanks for everyones responses so far !

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I final got my Salifert test kits, they were on backorder.

My calcium is 380.

My Alkalinity is 4.29 meq/L

PH still at 8.0

I cut back on feeding.

I am still dosing daily with b-ionic, I am dosing 4 ml of each component.

Please provide some suggestions for me to remedy this.

I just dose with kalkwasser, no ionics or other addivtes. The kalk is already a balamce solution of Ca++. The Hydroxide portion will absorb CO2 and from carbonate ions in the proper ratio. If you use kalk you wont need the other "balanced" additives. just be sure to drip it slowly and use a ph monitor. I wouldn't dose with kalk without a ph monitor on the system. with kalk i maintain my ph and ca++ ca is 450 PH is 8.2 my alk is high but i dont worry bout it as long as my mg ca and ph are good to go. keep mg at 1350.

Originally posted by Catspa

I'd be willing to bet big $$$ that your lower PH is due to slight overfeeding (decomposition of uneaten food will drop your PH).  Cut back a bit on the feeding and i think you'll gradually see an increase in your ph over the next month or so - might take up to two months before you reach 8.3.  - keep an eye on it, but don't let it bother you to much.

that was what i m thinking. i had the same problem.

Archived