Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SPS Under PC's

Mnesarchus

Brooklyn Johnny

Yes I forgot to add Joe it's not a result of having insufficient lighting. I have you're lights and you could see the growth of the different digitatas I have in my thread. Digitata is like a weed.

Johnny

Yes I know this all I have read a lot on all of it and all my parameters are great. I didnt change a thing and then poof dead digi. I guess I'll try to get a frag from someone to try again. I hate to see things fail, this was my first bad outcome.

Joe

I have a couple of SPS, acro's and monti's, doing well in my 20 with 220w of PC's... I run 10k's and act03's but I wonder if I'd be better with some 8800k or a mix of 8800k and 10k... Anyone running the 55w 8800k bulbs ?

they were doing well until sometime friday night when a crab decided to have an acro snack, he snapped off about an inch from one. the crab got skewered for his actions, the acro looks ok although it's looked better.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using 3x55W PC plus a standard 15W actinic. PCs are a mix of 10000K, Actinic and 50/50.

Acros and montis are healthy. I find that green SPS colour up well under PCs but not the pinks, blues and purples. An exception would be my monti danae... purple encrusting with green polyps and orange center.

Dan

c_k_kuehne

I think the biggest thing that has been left out of this discussion is the depth that the corals are at under PC's compared MH.

In a larger tank you might have 12" - 18" of water column above your sps and then only MH would be apropiate.

But what if in a smaller tank you only have 4" - 6" of water column above your sps?? A PC setup might work out OK where it wouldn't if the PC's were in the larger tank example above.

It's just not a good thing to try and compare MH to PC's unless the comparision is taking into account all the different factors.

I have MH in my big tank.

I would never consider MH in my nano. I used to have nano's that were just minature copies of a larger tank -- sump, skimmer, auto top-off ect.... I really considered them a micro tank.

To me a Nano must be a self contained system that can easily fit onto a desktop or maybe a kitchen counter and as such a pendant hanging above or a 12" tall canopy just takes them out of the nano category and into the micro category. But that is JMHO

Archived