Top Shelf Aquatics

Is this Light good enough for my reef?

Smokin-Reefer

Smokin-Reefer

I'm getting things prepared to start a 20g high Nano tank.

I've searched all over for a decent lighting hood, and think I may have found one.

old_solar20aluminumcompactstitched45.jpg

Its from petsupplyliquidator.com, and for $115, I figured it was pretty resonable. I was going to go for the 55w version, and get either 2 50/50 10000k Bulbs, or one 10000k and one Actinic.

Will this be enough lighting for my tank?

I intend to keep Mushrooms, and some polyps for starters.

Thanks,

dan

printerdown01

Looks like it is about 23" long... Which will extend 1/5" over your tank on each side... But if that doesn't bother you go for it. 110W should light it up pretty well! I think you would be pushing it with clams (on the bottom) but it soulds pretty darn good to me!

Smokin-Reefer

Well, I figured it would be about an half an inch short on both sides, I originally used this tank for FW so I bought an All glass brand canopy/light strip (Why on earth did I waste $30 on it, is beyond me). It was 24". If I just used the plain glass tops, Would it be feasible to sit the light directly on top of it, or should I place something so there is some space between my light and the top?

Thanks!

I ordered that same hood...although I think they sent me a hood that is actually for the "ultra reef" line, because it has the slot holes for fans on it.

The hood I have fits right inside the lip of the aquarium...so its more like 23 3/4 inches...Although It doesn't fit snug enough for me (lights actually fell in the tank one time), so I put a small glass strip down so the lights rest on that now, so there isn't any chance for them to fall in now.

I have one of there 10k bulbs and one actinic. I still think it looks too yellow though.

So far I have some zoo's, candycane, xenia, GSP, and some other LPS coral I have yet to identify doing fine.

For zoos, shrooms and polyps light shouldn't be an issue. For sps, you want quite a bit of light. Though there are a few sps corals that live and grow just fine under less than perfect lighting.

John

Archived