ReefCleaners.org

some help with my true perc

ezcompany

My true perc has been gaping his mouth wide open and cannot seem to close it. He chases after food but can only "inhale" instead of his usual gobbling.

Is this cotton mouth disease? I haven't seen any white stuff around his mouth, but notice some hint of white inside. (not 100% positive yet)

Is cotton mouth disease for freshwater only? this is what I thought after some initial reading, I have not found anything on Marine fish with this disease.

Pics are nearly impossible as the fish moves too much, but think of a true perc "yawning".

i know i've been bagging on you lately... so promise this is the last one for awhile.

EZ STOP BUYING FISH OMFG.

Isn't this the same perc you had in the 5G tank that Adin wanted to take and kill in his tank?

yeah its the same one adin wanted :( i'll try to get a pic tonight, but seems like lockjaw is pretty fatal and cause by nutritional deficiencies? WTF!?

i feed this bad boy the best out of my 3 fish!

yeah its the same one adin wanted :( i'll try to get a pic tonight, but seems like lockjaw is pretty fatal and cause by nutritional deficiencies? WTF!?

Ha! Take that, adinperckiller!

(save it for the contest)

GIVE ME YOUR CLOWNFISH.

Muwahahahahahaha!

Didn't you just have a long power outage, or am I thinking of someone else? The stress from that is probably the culprit here no?..and not your feeding? Anywho, hope it recovers soon!

i have had a power outage, but this has happened before it. this happened soon after i transferred him from my 5 gallon to the 24, i'm pretty sure the netting process has stressed him out and caused the infection.

he does have something white in his mouth, so i'm wondering if methlyene blue can be used for marine fish?

my perc just did the same thing recently. His mouth was stuck wide open but i did a pretty big water change and his mouth is slowly starting to change back to normal. He's not 100% yet, but it's getting better definately. I think it's just related to stress and as he got less stressed he got stronger.

my perc just did the same thing recently. His mouth was stuck wide open but i did a pretty big water change and his mouth is slowly starting to change back to normal. He's not 100% yet, but it's getting better definately. I think it's just related to stress and as he got less stressed he got stronger.

that is very reassuring to hear mark. i will do all i can to nurse him back to full health :(

that is very reassuring to hear mark. i will do all i can to nurse him back to full health :(

Hey ez, I think if you do a search you can find your answer. I remember 5 months back that someone had the same problem that you are describing. I don't know if it turned out good or bad though. Sorry for the fish :(

Do you have an update on the perc?

yes i do!

the clown seems to be back in full health :lol:

after transferring it back to the 5.5 aga it made feeding a whole lot easier as there is virtually no current in that tank. i was able to feed him enriched flake bits, small enough for him to swallow. after that i swtiched to enriched hikari mega marine angel, now he is back to his piscine mysis with food grasping and shredding capabilities (no more crap in his mouth)

thanks for all those that showed concern, i really appreciate it.

mine ended up good as new too. I was getting really scared because of so many posts here on NR saying it was mostly fatal. My LFS said it was gonna die too hahah

• 1 month later...

any chemical treatments that are reef safe? I have the same problem and do not have a QT. I also feel chasing the fish around to QT would only stress her out more (its the female). i'd rather just dose my tank

Archived