Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Best aquariums for Pico Reefs

BamaWorKs

I am nearly certain I'm going to start a pico reef for my desk at the university. I've been researching for a day or so to see some of the best available aquariums for picoreefs, and then I realized, you guys are the best to ask about these matters.

I logged on to liveaquaria.com and saw the TOM Deco 3 and the Picotope, which both seemed like decent setups. What does the community here recommend?

Skimmer or no?

Thanks for the help!

just get a 2.5g AGA with an AC20. there are a lot of threads with these tanks. You get to set up a tank you want and not something thats already set-up with lighting that isnt even good.

I agree. I think it was the tom tank that came with better features but I couldnt remember. Above all else, just make sure you get a glass tank.

BTW, I have a 2.5g AGA tank.

I agree. I think it was the tom tank that came with better features but I couldnt remember. Above all else, just make sure you get a glass tank.

BTW, I have a 2.5g AGA tank.

Glass for sure? I was hoping an acrylic would work because I have to move it a couple times a year to home and back... what are the disadvatages to acryling? Scratching?

The Picotope is a glass aquarium with a weenie light, the Deco 3 has a decent light but an acrylic tank.

By the time you upgrade the filter and or lights you will spend more than on a 2.5 AGA setup the way you want it.

I personally have the Picotope, and the arguments against it are true. I chose it for style though and knew i would have to make adjustments to the setup. I made my own lid for it out of acrylic, upgraded to a AC 30 and modded it, and will make light upgrade in near future.

my first post... I read about half a million and have gained enough confidence to post.

Skimmer or no?

That'd be a No. Not on a tank this size. Just an Aqua Clear filter.

You shouldn't have any trouble moving a 2.5g All Glass tank a few times a year. No more trouble than moving an acrylic tank and as noted, not as easily scratched.

becareful when moving the tank. i had a Top Fin 2.5g. i moved it from my old room to my living room with all the water and everything in the tank, about 40 feet away and it started leaking. im guessing it was because i moved it with everything in it. so i had to buy another 2.5g, unfortunatley another Top Fin(couldnt find any AGA) and i shave yet to set it back up.

Archived