Top Shelf Aquatics

Brown algae

Hawkeye

OK, ive done the search and read about it. Is there any way to get ride if the brown algae that has taken over. I just got my lights about a week or two ago(130w,1-actanic and 1-10,000k). I have about 3 bumble bee snails,1 nissarius, 4 hermits,some hitchhiker snails really small, sand sifting star, psodochromis. My coraline where white, green and purple, now they have some what been covered in the brown stuff. My sand is also getting covered. I know this is suposed to happen but how do I get it gone quickly. Oh hey my tank has been going now for about five weeks. Thank you for helping!

How long are you running your lights per day? Are you using RO/DI water and how often do you do water changes?

Cut back on your lighting and check your phosphate levels. I found that by cutting back to about 7 hours a day on lighting and doing a 20% water change instead of my weekly 10% has significantly reduced my cyano problem.

HTH.

Just let it happen. It's going to happen no matter how much you try to make it not happen. It will finish in due time. This one of those cases where patience is required. Trust me, it will go away if you're caring for your aquarium. By the way, the brown stuff you are referring to are diatoms. Not algae.

John

I run my blue 12 hours and my white at 10 but I will cut it back some. I do a 10% every weekend and my levels are zero. Phosphates are .50 so I don't think it's that. Will try 20%. Everyone in the tank seems happy and growing. I know I have to be patient and it will stop in time. Just aggrivating, cause the tank was so colorful before. Thanks for the help.

Archived