inTank Media Baskets

how do you tell if a shrimp is dead or a molt?

KFC

I bought a cleaner shrimp and brought it home immediately. I spent about 30 minutes acclimating it. After that, I went to grab some drinks and 6 hours later I came home to find it on it's back. I have a new tank that is about 2 weeks with very good levels.

My question is how do I tell if my shrimp molted or it's dead. I can't seem to find another shrimp anywhere, but it might be hinding in some holes. How do I tell? I am a little concerned because I had a snail die a few days ago. My other snails are fine and the new hermits I added today are doing well too.

A molt will look similar to the shrimp itself, but not nearly as solid. The Molt will also have a very identifiable split in the middle (or so) of the shell where it came apart and the shrimp exited. I'm guessing your shrimp is dead, sorry to say. If the tank has only been up for 2 weeks, that was probably a bit fast to add a shrimp imo. What are you nitrate levels?

spoondigity

Take your time KFC. Wait another two weeks at least, just to be safe, no matter what your levels look like. Inverts are extra sensitive to cycles so you do not want to chance it. Tests are ok but they can often be off (or spikes can show up unexpectedly after tests initially look good). You need to learn from your experience. When the snail died, that should be a warning that things may not be stable. Also, depending on how closely your LFS water matches your own, you may want to extend your acclimation. I drip acclimate items for close to an hour in most cases and I have never had something die from introduction.

P.S. IME, the earliest I introduce snails to a tank is 2-3 weeks depending on the liverock I used in the tank. For a shrimp, I introduce them no sooner than 6 weeks into the tank. You can probably do it safely at 4 weeks, but why rush a tank when half of the fun is setting it up.

Hang in there and things will work out with time.

To paraphrase someone from Dr. Ron's forum at ReefCentral ...

You can also acclimatize intertidal snails (basically, anything that'll go above your water line like nerites, margaritas, and such) by ... sticking on the glass (wiped free of salt creep) above the water. They'll acclimatize themselves to their new environment by moving down into the water when they're ready.

I've never tried it, but what the heck. Supposedly, it works quite well.

2 weeks runing for a tank is no where near enough time.

give it 3 months, then try again.

Don't make me give you a siesure..... :rolleyes:

Archived