Cultivated Reef

Ricordia / Yuma Question

directional

Okay I went to a local reefers house and he gave me this bright green ricordia and this really flourescent green with white ricoridia / yuma he didnt know what both of them really were name wise.

Both came unattached to LR and I tried glue and they slipped right off.. I curretly have them rubber banded to small peices of rock .. 1 a crab shell... and I want to know if this is right..

They both look like they are about to split because stress related I guess? I got them Friday night and I need to know if I should just leave them alone..

I will submit a pic soon of what they are now.. it wont be a good pic but itll be a pic heh.

post-22347-1165769965_thumb.jpg

brent-konieczny

They are probably splitting because of the rubber band pressure. You are never supposed to put glue on the skin of a mushroom, it burns the skin and increases risk of infection. Cut a plastic cup into a short dish. Then, put some rock rubble and the mushrooms in there. Put it in a low flow, low light area. You can put netting over the container if the mushrooms are getting disturbed. When they have attached to the rubble (about 1 week) glue the rubble piece with the mushroom wherever you like.

^^ good advice. Rubber bands will work but I have heard of them slipping out. I use a baby-saver in my tank for a low flow area, put some rubble in there and in a few days my mushrooms usually attach - depending on how stressed it is. Just be patient. :)

I am doing something similar with a shot glass and a zip loc bag with holes poked in it..

Thanks.. I will take pics

I didnt know not to use glue, rubberband idea deff sucked.. hopefully they do better!

What types of ricordiaa / yuma is this?

What types of ricordiaa / yuma is this?

as far as "type" i am not sure. I think it is a yuma just from this photo. If you can take a closer photo - especially of its mouth, that would help in the identification. It is my understanding that ricordia yumas will have "bumps" on its mouth wheres florida ricordias will not. hope this helps.

Archived