SaltCritters.com

Scarlet Reef Hermit Not Moving

akaMonkey

I recenty started stocking my cleanup crew, and one of the things I added was a scarlet reef hermit. I floated the bag in the tank and was adding water every 10 minutes to get him acclimated. Unfortunately, I was acclimating 5 other bags of snails and such at the same time, and after an hour his bag slipped below the water line and flooded with tank water. I assumed an hour of acclimation would have been enough, but it appears not. He was active for the first few hours after being put in the tank (on Friday evening), but now he doesn't move. He'll right himself if I tip his shell over, but otherwise he remains stationary. I'm concerned he's a goner.

Measurements: SG 1.025, Ammonia=0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=5-10, pH=8.2.

For what it's worth, I have a dwarf blue leg that hitchhiked in on my live rock, and he's doing fine.

Is there any hope for the scarlet? Should I just leave him in there, or should I put him out of his misery and stick him in the freezer? I'd had to have him suffer a long, lingering death.

Well, he half-heartedly pulled one of my cerith snails off a rock, but then just ignored the cerith which crawled away. Now the hermit is nowhere to be found. So, he's either feeling more lively or he crawled off somewhere to die.

Ambiant Sound
Well, he half-heartedly pulled one of my cerith snails off a rock, but then just ignored the cerith which crawled away. Now the hermit is nowhere to be found. So, he's either feeling more lively or he crawled off somewhere to die.

I wouldnt worry to much. I have had this happen with Scarletts on several different occasions. I have 3 tanks and it almost never fails that if I move one into a new tank this occurs. I always drip acclimate them and they end up chilling in one spot. It takes a few days for them to get going. Good luck, I hope all turns out well!

Many people report lazy/inactive scarlet hermits.

Thats a pretty good description of mine. He's either lazy, or semi-nocturnal? (shrug) I only seem him being active about every 3 days.

Well I found him. His shell, anyway. The rest of him had apparently been "cleaned up" by a decent sized fireworm. I checked my levels, and although nitrate is at 10, everything else is at zero so I guess I don't need to worry about decomposition.

Poor Red. :(

Archived