ReefCleaners.org

Cooling a nano....

bdr127

I got my 15H nanoreef set up (pieces from the 90g I'm breaking down), and today added my canopy and lights -- 2x36W PC in enclosure, all from AHSupply.com.

The problem is that my temp got really hot! Is there any effective way to cool down the tank/lights? Because the tank and canopy are so small, there is no place to clip a clip-on fan, and no room to install a muffin fan.... What are my options? Anybody have any experience with this? How are you all running your lights without heating the water so much?

Thanks in advance...

--Brad

SeaMountain

My 10g has 2x36ers sitting over the top approx. 4" from the water. When my room temp hits close to 75 degrees, the tank will get to 80 and a bit higher sometimes. When my room temp is closer to 70, I have no problems.

My plans are to use an IceProbe or MicroChiller for this summer. Do a search on them and you will come up with a TON of info.

There is even one feller who advocates the use of floating ice and bottles in your water! :P

As an experiment I set up a small floor fan and pointed it at teh back wall where the tank sits. Water cooled of a few degrees in a few hours. Just get some air circulating behind the tank and see what happens. What is your room temp? And what temp are you wanting and rising to on the tank?

Lunchbucket

i NEVER had problems w/ my 2x36w on a 10gal tank. i had the AHSUPPLY hood and you CAN fit a fan in there. you can get a micro fan from radioshack and use a variable voltage converter to up or down the voltage and the speed. worked great for me

otherwise build a new hood and put a fan in there

Lunchbucket

Before you drop some $$$ on an IceProbe/microchiller do what Lunch said and add a fan to your hood. Evaporative cooling really works! You just have to watch your water levels. Have the fan pushing air into the hood/over the water. I find that more effective in cooling your tank, and your fan won't get rusted. I've had a 3" Radio Shack fan attached to my hood for almost 3 years and it works great!

freakaccident

I use a cheapo radiojunk fan. My lights are about 5"s off the water with no glass between the water and bulbs. The fan blows directly across the lights. I keep my house at 72* and I have to use a heater to keep the water at 79*. A lot of evap but my auto top off takes care of it.

Lunchbucket

yeah i cut a hole in the side and mounted it. i had a 1.5" micro then i upgraded to a 3" one. WORED GREAT and only 24 bucks or so

Lunchbucket

Archived