Coral Vue Hydros

Remora or Bak Pak 2R

NTAnnin

Hey everyone,

I know ive made another post about this but i was just wondering if these two skimmers are rated for the same amount of gallons and if everyone deffinately thinks the regular remora will be a better buy than the 2R for a 29 or 75 gallon tank. I will get the better pump for the remora for sure. Does anyone recommend the preskim box or can i do without. Thanks for your help. I just want to make sure i don't end up with a second skimmer that i will want to replace in a year.

~Nick

I'm using a remora on my 18 right now. It's taking its sweet time to break in. So I have alot of microbubbles in the tank and very little skimmate production. I thought it might have broken in the other day when I had much fewer bubbles and a good bit of skimming going on. But, it seems to have reverted to its old ways of producing alot of bubbles with no skimmate.

I've only had the skimmer in production for a week or so. I can give a better review after a month or two of operation. I used the original CPR Bakpak on my old 55 gallon reef and loved it. To tell you the truth, I don't think you can go wrong between these two skimmers.

Surface skimming will always increase your skimming efficiency. I had a prefilter box on my bakpak and it worked rather well. Just have to keep an eye on water level. I'm seriously thinking about getting one for the remora.

John

Having used both skimmers, and having used the remora with both the preskimmer and without and with a Rio and Maxijet, I would definitely suggest using the AquaC Remora Maxijet1200/preskimmer combo. I'm currently using one on my 15gal and I get a whole lot of skimmate coming from it.

I first had the Rio 800 inside the preskimmer and decided to go for the MJ to reduce some of the noise. The preskimmer box is not universal so i couldn't use the same box for the MJ. I went w/out a preskimmer box for a month and it produced some bubbles in the tank. I decided to cut down my old preskimmer box and just use the output portion of the box and it's been working great for me. No bubbles and I don't have to mess with the preksimmer box/water level nightmare that I had before.

Here's a pic of the tank with the outflow bubble catcher that I cut out. You can barely see it in this pic, but I can take more pics later if you want. It would probably be beter if you just make your own buble catcher out of acrylic scraps.

DSCN0217_Small.JPG

Wow hehe you've pretty much nailed what I'm planning to do with my tank. Zoos, GSP, Xenia and a big bright green open brain.

Well, my skimmer is behaving itself today. Its back to skimming and not producing quite so many bubbles. I think I'm going to order up a box for it on Monday. Would be nice to hide the pump.

I'm using the Maxijet powerhead on mine too. It's definitely powerful. I never had that many bubbles in my old CPR. But, like I say, it's taking its time to break in. So, I'm not seeing much in the way of skimming right now.

Then again, maybe my tank is so darned clean there's not much there to skim. :)

John

Hey, thanks for the info. I think i have actually decided on the remora pro since i'm getting a larger tank soon (sorry Nano reefers) Anyways, i really liked the bubble catcher idea without the preskimmer part. I will have to invent one.

~Nick

Archived