ReefCleaners.org

peppermint shrimps and xenia?

Bozu

i have a aipasia problem and i am going to pick one up or my 15 gallon. i have a lot of red sea type xenia in there also. would the shrmps eat the xenia?

I've always had peppermint shrimps in my tank, and they've never bothered my xenia. Here's a pic just to prove it, there were 2 peps in this tank. (i don't think you'll have a hard time finding the xenia.

DSCN0001_Small.JPG

When I had my pep I didn't have any xenia, so I can't comment on that, but I can tell you my pep ate yellow polyps and attacked my feather duster before I yanked his punka$$ out.

BTW LakerFan- SWEET Xenia!

thanks for the pic lakerfan. i am going to the lf now to get my first p shrimp to solve my liittle problem. thanks again guys

BustytheSnowMaam

From what I've read and experienced, try to get peps from Florida, the ones from the Pacific won't eat aiptasia. My first pair, purchased from Premium Aquatics, didn't touch the stuff. The pair I have now, which I believe came from ORA in Florida originally (before the LFS), does, and does a great job. They never touch anything else.

Tasha

You're in luck then, because mine came from the Fl. area and he is afraid of the aiptasia. I watch him wonder up on one the other day and I thought both would have a heart attack. It made both jump out of there skin. LOL

ok i bought a few p shrimps and they did not touch the aiptasia and the kaulk injections dont seem to work (its only making my xenia pulse slower ).

so if i flip the rocks around and bury the aiptasia under 4 inches of sand work? i mean kill it off??????

freakaccident

I doubt that would "suffocate" them. I would suggest trading the pshrimp for another. Keep trading until you get one that will eat those bastards. Maybe someone in your area has one you can borrow.

How long have you had the peps in there? They don't always attack the aptaisia immediately. When I put my killer pep into my gf's tank, it took a few days, but eventually it ate the aptaisia in her tank.

Two words, crap shoot. I have seen mine pick at xenia on ocassion but only to pull a couple fingers off the hand part and we all know xenia will grow faster then the rate a pep could consume it. My pep's usually attack newly added coral for some reason, it's like they can smell that the piece came from elsewhere. I would not worry about a pep eating your coral, it may pick at something every now and then and cause no real harm, but as far as them eating aiptasia, I go back to the crap shoot. Just pull the rock with the aiptasia on it out with one hand and a lighter in the other and while remembering where the little bastages were, fry them out of existance. On a side note, I have a 3 inch pet Aiptasia in a 12 gallon fish only with Live Rock. It has not as of yet reproduced (Lucky I guess) and I kind of like the little dude and would actually be upset if it died. Good luck with your dilema and remember Aiptasia are People/Anemone's too.

Well if there is a few in plane sight that you cant stand to see then blast them! Take a syringe (the kind that come with calcium test kits) and some boiling water to the little suckers! It wont harm anything else as long as you aim correctly. I place the end of the syringe just above a single aptasia and as soon as I make contact with the mouth I squirt them. Works great for me, I would have to say out of 10 maybe 2 survive but after a second attack they just melt away. In case your wondering I have blasted a few that where in between zoos and xenia with no damage to the zoos and minor to the xenia but that did nothing to it.

Smokin-Reefer

I had nearly 30 aip's in my 5.5 tank. I just added a peppermint shrimp a week ago, and nearly all have been eradicated. I think they only really eat them when the lights are off. However, I have a small Xenia (I think) Frag on a small peice of live rock, and the pep never touches it.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

thanks i ended up gettin 4 peps from jeffs exotics and they ate every single one of them!!!! i had about a hundred of them. thanks again

I think that many people have problems with getting peps to eat aiptasia, because many people don't actually have peps. From how similar peps and camel shrimp look, it could just be that many people get camels that are mistakenly called peps and camels don't eat aiptasia. That's just my theory though....

Archived