Coral Vue Hydros

Sodium lights

zizmans

I was at a used electronics place today, and I'm having the guy look in his warehouse over the next week for MH's. He mentioned Sodium lights? What are they? Are they usable with an aquarium?

high pressure sodium lights arent acceptable for reefing purposes...way to much yellow in the output. If you have to have high intensity discharge lights the only way to go is Metal Halide due to the colors the bulbs are manufactured in....i.e. higher color temps like above 6500 kelvin.

I'm just curious. What were MH's originally manufactured for? I figured the sodiums were a no-go, as I've never heardread about them before but I thought I'd ask, thanks for the info.

Metal halides were developed for plant growth. Like for big time florist's and for green houses. Then they started experimenting with color temps and aquaria. Plus they were developed for parking lot lighting and so on.

deacon hemp

You can run mh bulbs off hps ballasts and it runs it like a super mh bulb,drains the life of the bulb thou.i've done it in non aquarium applications!.

edit-sorry sorry it's the other way around my bad

Archived