Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

new and just a few ?'s

RADone

I have been playing with Freshwater for about a year now, and have decided to make the plung into saltwater. I have decided to use a 55 gallon tank, visi-tek PS100 protein skimmer/with powerhead, Proquatics 2400 canister filter/pump, and of coarse a heater.

I have a full hood for this tank and I am wondering if i can use a 48" 50/50 40 watt light (Fluorescent)(50% natural daylight, 50% actinic 03 blue)?

I plan on putting 2 bags of sand and 1 bag of live sand as my substance, I also plan on buying about 5-10lbs of live rock ($9 a lb) when i put the sand in ( since i am using live sand i wont put live rock on glass bottom) Does this sound okay so far?

I plan on having damsels, clowns, a tang, and a few crabs. I would like to know what ya'll think about these fish and what crab i should go with, with this setup. I have purchased 2 books and they are close to each other in some areas and far apart in others. I greatly appreciate ya'lls answers and wish me luck or say a pray for my first venture into the world of SALT.

duckhuntboy

Well, MY first advice is to move your questions to reefcentral.com. Nano-Reefs are smaller reefs, with small differences in tank setups, so you're on the wrong website for anything over probably a 30 gallon. I think your setup sounds good. The lighting might be a little weak, but my tank is 7 gallons, so what do I know.

The ###### you're experiencing in the books is the best thing you can learn... People think different, and there's more than one way to do things. It also shows you that people can be wrong (such as myself on the lighting issue, perhaps). Just move over to the newbie forum on reefcentral. They'll take care of you.

pitbullpooch

you will need more lighting and more live rock about a pound per gallon.like duck said go to www.reefcentral.com for more help.just to let you know i have more lighting on my 10 gallon tank and i want more unless you want fish only but you probably will want corals later like most people do after they set up their tanks and then see other tanks with corals,like i did.good luck

It's good, but the marine section is low traffic. The mod on the marine boards (Boogiechillin) is one of the most knowlegable reefers I've ever met. The guy is an absolute fountain of solid and consistant info, and has patience like you wouldn't believe. He was of invaluable help to me when I got started. I always point newbies there looking to start with a more traditionally-sized tank.

Archived