Innovative Marine Aquariums

10g Hex Reef tank?

directional

I have a 10g hex tank that right now is fresh water... I really want to make it a reef sometime during the summer or sooner :)

How do I make this possible.. Can I retrofit a MH in there? How much wattage? How much would this cost... Etc etc ..

I have tried to do research on RC and nooone was a help.. I love this place better so help me out guys!!! Make this possible it would be such a cool tank to do!

For lighting go with a 70w MH

if you already have a wood canopy on the tank you can buy a retrofit kit and install it yourself into the hood.

If you arent a DIY kinda person, or if you just dont have a wooden hood or anything else to retrofit in a 70wMH

you could buy a 70w MH pendant

go w/ all new water, clean everything really well.. if you have used any copper medicine in this tank it cant be used as a reef

clean out everything really well.. get new sand and 10lbs. of Liverock

put a powerhead and put a heater on and your done

Yes copper is bad.. I havn't dosed it in the tank... I have a 2.5 gal reef, and a 55gal salt fowlr...

I am unsure of the dimensions I think it is a foot wide... about 2 feet tall? Its like taking a regular 10g and standing it up..

Would the viper 70/150 watt light be good for non diy?

Would I be able to mod a MH into the current HOOD I have on the tank now? 12" ?

For lighting go with a 70w MH

if you already have a wood canopy on the tank you can buy a retrofit kit and install it yourself into the hood.

If you arent a DIY kinda person, or if you just dont have a wooden hood or anything else to retrofit in a 70wMH

you could buy a 70w MH pendant

go w/ all new water, clean everything really well.. if you have used any copper medicine in this tank it cant be used as a reef

clean out everything really well.. get new sand and 10lbs. of Liverock

put a powerhead and put a heater on and your done

ditto, if you really want to, you could probably put a HOB filter and a powerhead at the bottom. you could put the heater in the filter chamber too.

Archived