Coral Vue Hydros

no-drilling sump/fuge idea

thePenguin

i am going to add a sump/refugium to my already fully stocked tank, so i was trying to think of a way to do it without drilling anything. i came up with an idea based on some similar threads i read. i am going to connect the main tank to a small plastic hang-on box of some kind via a u-tube. this way its water level will always be equal with the main tank. this box will contain an overflow (which will require drilling and cutting and whatnot, but will be very easy cause its plastic and empty) dumping into the tank below. here is a diagram, tell me what you think.

Yeah its a good design. My tank setup is basically the same thing. You will have to add an overflow box inside the main tank as well. If the power goes out the water will continue to drain from the main tank. Thus dropping to the bottom of the u-tube breaking the siphon. If power is turned back on there is no siphon and the pump in the sump will overflow the main tank.

Then you will get home see what happened start throwing things around, cussing at the top of your lungs and quit the hobby because your neighbor complained about you so you get evicted and not only that but you lost your deposit because the rug was ruined.....not what you want to happen. =)

cant i just make sure the overflow is above the bottom of the u-tube? that way if the power goes out the last bit of water will flow over the overflow but the water level will remain above the bottom of the u-tube so it wont go empty. then when the power comes back on the level will go back up and the water will once again flow over the overflow. if i had to add an overflow to the main tank it would defeat the whole purpose.

Steve -

Folks are referring to the fact that you need a box on the inside of the tank in addition to the one on the outside. If you didn't have one on the inside, the tank would drain until the water level hits the bottom of the U tube and then the siphon would break.

-Ed

are you guys refering to the need for a standpipe in the external overflow box to prevent the syphon from breaking???

Just a question: why not drill?? I drilled my 20H while it was running. I just drained the tank down a few inches. Then I taped a piece of scrap glass on the inside of the tank where the hole was going to keep the glass drilling garbage contained. It also gives a good backing for the glass while drilling. Then I drilled the glass, removed scrap reinforcer, screwed on the bulkhead, refilled the tank with the water I saved in a bucket....and WHOAH!!!! an overflow hole!!!

i see what you guys are saying but maybe im missing something here but i think the need for an inside overflow box can be eliminated by insuring that the overflow level is above the bottom of the u-tube. here is a diagram of what im talking about.

Actually that would work, but I think you may be limiting your flow. My understanding, is part of the flow is determined by the delta in the level between the water level on the inside and outside (not positive on this one).

Also,you won't get the benefit of surface skimming without the inside box.

-Ed

Also,you won't get the benefit of surface skimming without the inside box.

good point.

im thinking maybe i will make a little overflow box around the end of the pipe using a peice of larger diameter pipe with an end cap or something small and easy like that.

If your going to make it right then dont have the drain from the outside box on the face just put it on the bottom. You wont restrict flow and it wont need so much clearance. And the box inside the tank should have slots. Depending on how low you position the bottom of the slots will control how much water will drain from the main tank during power failure (dont forget to drill return line too).

Again your bascally making a standard overflow box but your internal box will be smaller.

true, i was thinking that but i just didnt draw it that way for some reason. as for the return line good point i wouldnt want to start a siphon there either. i am thinking maybe i will make the return line some sort of a spray bar (above the water surface with a bunch of little holes) like they do in the fist stores, so that shouldnt be a problem.

one quick question though, what is the advantage of the slots?

You dont want the spray bar above the water surface! You will get really bad salt creep from splash and lots of bubbles in your tank. Slots are good because it draws the water into a small space therefore pulling things from the surface a little better and it helps things like snails and fish from getting sucked through.

good point, it seemed like a good idea at time...well under the surface it is then...do you have pictures of yours deskjocky?

I gotta ask you, bacause I've been looking for one, where di you get the fuge light from DeskJockey?? And, what bulbs can I use in it? It looks perfect for an open top sump I'm putting together.

Archived