Pod Your Reef

Lighting 2.5g

travisurfer

Ok, I already have the first option for my lighting but came across a satellite fixture for a great deal. Here we go:

2 x 13w 6500k Bulbs and a 10w Coralife 50/50 Bulb Installed in Custom Hood

or

12" 1 x 18w 50/50 Satellite Fixture

Thanks ;)

travisurfer,

Doesn't 36w over a 2.5g seem kind of over kill? I would think the 18w satellite would be more than enough light for your size tank.

yea ;) Thats kind of what I was thinking. I could always switch over to a 2 x 10w 50/50 screw in too. My hood defiinitely isn't the most efficient which is why i made this post. The satellite would come for christmas so it wouldn't cost anything but I wouldnt want to get it for no reason.

Thanks lgreen

Travis I do the 20w 50/50 screw in and all in my tank thrives.. I just picked up a alot more corals tonight so I will take pics in the AM... I got ricordia / yuma / gsp / cabbage leather tonight :) freeeee :D:D

<3 screw in bulb!

nice directional. i still havent decided yet. I may use my current hood for lighting the chaeto and then getting a hood made for a 2.5g tank and put a 20w in it. still havent quite decided as the satellite, with parabolic reflector, 18w bulb, and moonlight, is only $30 shipped and it would be for christmas. ;)

nice directional. i still havent decided yet. I may use my current hood for lighting the chaeto and then getting a hood made for a 2.5g tank and put a 20w in it. still havent quite decided as the satellite, with parabolic reflector, 18w bulb, and moonlight, is only $30 shipped and it would be for christmas. ;)

I would go with the satellite because of the reflector and the ease of setup.. I am sure if you want down the line you can stuff like a 10w screw in in there :)

I am leaning towards the satellite now. The bigges thing is that I already have the lighting setup. It looks like this:

light2.jpg

btw, where would I stuff a 10w screw in?

travisurfer,

Doesn't 36w over a 2.5g seem kind of over kill? I would think the 18w satellite would be more than enough light for your size tank.

No. Corals in my 2.5g are loving the 2x18w (50/50). (Plus 7w 17k pc "dawn/dusk" light).

With my old setup, the mushrooms completely bleached and the zoa didn't want to open up. The extra wattage just wasn't necessary. Currently, with 2 x 10w 50/50's, things are looking a lot better. Haven't quite made up my mind yet.

Why would you buy the satelite if your already running 20watts of 50/50 light.. I mean atleast wait until those bulbs die thats a cool fixture.

PseudanthiasVentralis

THE MORE LIGHT THE BETTER, GET ACROPORA!!!!!

:haha: IM CRAZY :haha:

Why would you buy the satelite if your already running 20watts of 50/50 light.. I mean atleast wait until those bulbs die thats a cool fixture.

thanks directional. it is currently a cool fixture and it was made from a hacked up 24" strip light but it is a bit bulky and is a tight fit. ;) waiting for the bulbs to die may be a good idea but then I would have to pay twice as much for the satellite.

Chris from nanotuners told me this when I asked him about Pico Lighting.

Lots of customers are putting:

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php...products_id=161

on their JBJ Picotopes, it has 18w of good CF lighting and moonlight. Plus its not too expensive.

I am most likely going to get it.

lol chigago, thats the 1 x 18w satellite fixture that I was referring to throughout the thread. ;)

THE MORE LIGHT THE BETTER, GET ACROPORA!!!!!

:haha: IM CRAZY :haha:

you're crazy? im the one that had 36w over my tank. i think acropora would be about all that i could keep in the tank since the mushrooms were bleaching out on the sandbed. :o i still may try a hardy sps or two at the very top of the rock structure since it would be about an inch or so under the bulb.

majestic sea life

Well i think the more light never hurts. I have a 70watt MH on my 2.5gal and on my 5.5gal cube. Just watch out with the whole heat thing. Mine are hooked up to a 10gal sump with a small JBJ chiller.

• 3 weeks later...

lol fugu. i had found that two 10w 50/50 bulbs were plenty of quality light for those who were wondering. i suppose one of those incandescent perfecto hoods with a 20w 50/50 screw in would be just as nice.

15-and-6-GAL-NANO

travis surfer tore his tank down or are you saying that I did? my tanks is still up. I just havent been on here much, I've been really busy.

P.S. I saw your mantis tank on www.youtube.com travissurfer

I tore it down. It was just taking too much time to properly care for. The contents are now in my 20H mantis tank.

thanks, hope you liked the vid :)

Archived