Innovative Marine Aquariums

29G Nano Help

stonepran

Hello,

I'm still in the process of figuring out my filter methods for my 29G nano. I will have 30LBS of LR , and LS in the tank.

My question is, do I need a wet/dry & Skimmer? Or do I just need a sump with a skimmer?

I was able to find these small reefer rocks, which would seem to make an excellent replacement from BIOBALLS. They are actually linestone and seem to be very high in porosity

122301_T.jpg

122302_T.jpg

I'm confused as with using this, won't the rock here and the LR in the tank fight to who does the biological filtering? Or perhaps would a system with a wet/dry(using these small reefer rocks) and the LR in the main tank actually make a great system?

Thanks

Hmmm, I don't think you have to worry about rock "fighting" over who gets to filter it. I know this, if I could start over I'd go refugium. I haven't read anything great about wetdry. As far as I can tell it's a $ issue.

maybe just me but I found this post a bit confusing..... filtration? - all you need is LR, thats it.. any "new" rock you put in will eventually become LR. (make sure you do some research on cycling a tank, and rock..etc.)

Forget about the wet/dry filtration - thats old hat, and isn't necessary..

Skimmer would be a nice addition, though not necessary, but if you do get a skimmer, make sure you don't skimp cause some are crap. Keep in mind that what a skimmer does and what LR does - are two separte things, and neither is a substitute for the other.

lastly you don't need a sump either, but a Refugium would be a nice idea for a 30g - but requires additional plumbing, and isn't necessary either - just a nice addition.

Archived