ReefCleaners.org

Turbo snail behavior

alex3d

Hei all!

I put 3 tubosnail in my nano yesterday, i put them on a stone that has been attacked pretty hard this last week from brown alge! They had a feast, and cleaned huge parts of the stone back to blistering white. :)

When i woke up this morning all 3 had moved to the top of the back plastik wall of the nano, and been sitting there the last 12- 15 hours. Are they full and sleeping dinner?

Can someone please tell me what patterns/ beahaivor these snail have? :)

Hei all!

I put 3 tubosnail in my nano yesterday, i put them on a stone that has been attacked pretty hard this last week from brown alge! They had a feast, and cleaned huge parts of the stone back to blistering white. :)

When i woke up this morning all 3 had moved to the top of the back plastik wall of the nano, and been sitting there the last 12- 15 hours. Are they full and sleeping dinner?

Can someone please tell me what patterns/ beahaivor these snail have? :)

I have been told that snails are "tidal" meaning they need some actual out of the water time. This is perfectly normal for you snails to go to the top spend some time and then they will be back at it again. Don't worry.

rfequity: Thanx! This cleared up a few things :D great!

proraptor2: wow 3 snail = ovekill!!! Dam i can belive that my LFS has got that poor skills when it comes to saltwater! I am getting 10 more tomorow in the mail from a man that lives from cultivating corals. He told me i need at least 10 - 15 snails.

Ok. So i will have to return them or give them to my friend that has a big reef! Can you please give me a tip what i should have in my nano for a good clean up crew! My nano is a 12G, 5kg sand and 8.5kg stone. :)

In my opinion.

12G

1 turbo

10 cerith

10 nassarius

3 Margarita

Definately not 10 turbos....

I tend to start small, and add more as needed, rather than add more, and remove dead snail shells later.

good luck, Mike

agreed, what mikedege said was enough, allthough i might add one more turbo. in my 12galnano i have: 1turbo, 6nassarius, 4cerith, 3margarita, 5astrea.

I think that im going to add one more turbo and be done for snails forever!

also something that i have noticed....My mexican turbo is nocturnal. He sits in one place during the day, and when i get up at night he is moving around the tank chomping on algae.

good luck!

rfequity: Thanx! This cleared up a few things :D great!

proraptor2: wow 3 snail = ovekill!!! Dam i can belive that my LFS has got that poor skills when it comes to saltwater! I am getting 10 more tomorow in the mail from a man that lives from cultivating corals. He told me i need at least 10 - 15 snails.

Ok. So i will have to return them or give them to my friend that has a big reef! Can you please give me a tip what i should have in my nano for a good clean up crew! My nano is a 12G, 5kg sand and 8.5kg stone. :)

Hi. I have a 12g with one turbo snail, one astrea, 4 nassarius, 4 hermit crabs and 1 emerald crab, and they do a great job. Keep in mind that the amount of time your lights are on and the amount of food in the water will also contribute to the amount of algae in the tank.

anyone watch the Blue Planet series?

They had a clip on tidal areas.

This dead fish was left at a high tide mark.

Then a bunch of Nessarius snails started hightailing it to the dead fish.

Completely out of the water for about 100 meters. Ate a bunch of the fish then went back to the water.

I was very impressed at the out of water distance and speed of those things.

Now I know why they make a B-line for the clam I give to my BTA.

Archived