SaltCritters.com

sand sifting starfish trying to make pilgrimage

mascencerro

I seem to have a sand sifting starfish, that has decided it would like to make a pilgrimage to the ocean by climbing the glass repeatedly. I've taken it down several times now and it just insists on going up. I've even ran out of ideas and tried burying it under a thin layer of sand with the same results. I live in Oklahoma, so it has quite a distance to travel on those little tube feet before it hits anywhere near ocean. I tested NH=0, NO2=0, NO3=5, PO=0, sg=1.025. I can usually tuck a little mysis under it and it chows down, so as far as I know it isn't starving. Maybe just a little homesick?

Also, things climb when they are looking for food. AKA: Your sand might not have enough for him to eat. A lot of the time those stars will wipe out all life in your sand and then starve. Maybe yours is on that path. My Conch does this sometimes.

As far as food, I have been able to tuck some mysis and brine, and a couple times a piece of scallop under its leg and it moves over it and digs in. After chasing it down the glass a couple times more, and an hour or so later, it finally situated on a spot for a while and stopped. It had me worried (still does).

Archived