Coral Vue Hydros

temp fluctuation

channah

In my 3G, with a 13W PC, I don't even plug in my heater because the temp gets high when the lights are on (~82), then it goes down to about 78 when lights are out. All I have are some shrooms and a cleaner shrimp, but should I worry about the fluctuation?

No don't worry? I would. I would set your heater at 82. Then it'll stay there, day or night. Much better than a four degree daily swing.

yep, i'll agree with sahin and satchmo too.

you have a vast swing there, much better to try and level it, even at worst level to a two deg. swing.

cheers

lee

:) :) :) :)

Bleeding Blue

I am a huge fan of cooling with muffin fans, (okay so puns are the lowest form of humor. What are you going to do?) You can get the fan, and all the parts you need to build a power supply at your local, obnoxious, computer/electronics boheimeth for less than $12. You can add the fan to the timer so it only cools when your lights are on. It adds to evaporation, but if you are using a good top-off system than evaporation=much need calcium for stony corals, if you choose to keep them in the future. :)

Mike

printerdown01

I'm with Satchmo. Keep the tank around its highpoint. I would also recommend picking up a ditial themometer. Not to say they are more accurate than the others, they just make it easier to constantly monitor the temp. Also how hot is it where you are not, vs how hot it gets durring the summer!?!? Cause you could have a major problem in the summer.

coralreefengr

I agree with the fan recommendation. If you set your heater at 82 and the lights heat it up further when they come on, you may not have solved anything at all, but actually raised the total temp. Chemistry 101 can prove that. It stands to reason that if the lights heat the water 4 degrees...the lights heat the water 4 degrees. If you start at 78 you end up at 82. If you start at 82, you end up at 86. Much worse in my opinion.

Fans are cheap and you won't lose any livestock in the process.

coralreefengr

Here's a question? Is what you are doing working? If so...do that. Every system is different, that has been proven time and again. People do things everyday that others have said are impossible. Do what works for you.

Not neccessarily bad advice Caj. It may not be harmful at all. After all, many of us experience wild pH swings from day to night with no ill effects. But if it's something that is easily correctable, I would go ahead and correct it.

I was actually in the same boat when I started my 10. I locked my heater in at 78, but the daytime temp would reach 82. Brought the heater up to 82 and now the temp never moves.

no caja, i think you (and we) are right. (everyone else :P) channah isn't using a heater right now so s/he can get very wide fluctuations (especially at night : ). if channah had a heater and was getting wide fluctuations still then there's a need to worry (i think that was satch's point).

i a 24 hr. fluctuation of 4F as not very much imo. as long as it's not sudden and it's regular. extremes on the other hand, whether upper or lower are the no-no's (i.e. stress).

i usually keep a heater running (preset to 79F) 24/7/365. however, i always run a fan during summer months. but this year i'm going to try cpu fans with heat sinks bonded to the glass. (is that the beginnings of a brain fart? ??? i'll let you know. X) )

printerdown01

Different opinions don't ness = bad advice. Having options is always a good thing IME! I love disagreements in advice, 'cause I get to try more than one thing. If something doesn't work for me I can always try the next most logical thing for my system.

Bleeding Blue

When you set up an automatic topoff system, instead of adding simple RO water, mix it with calcium carbonate to make Kalkwasswer. This will raise the ph of the water you are adding from 7 to a more appropriate ph, as well as add calcium to the system to promote the growth of stony corals and coraline algea.

Archived