Innovative Marine Aquariums

Who here keeps Green Star Polyps in their Nano?

Skippy

I am just wondering if you guys have a problem with GSP's overtaking your system?

I have read alot of threads in other boards where members say their GSP's overgrow their neighboring corals causing death to them and covering entire rocks along the way.

I am just wondering if this occurance is frequent in Nanos.

I want to get GSP and if i do i most likely wont feed it DT's, and my tank is only dosed with B-Ionic.

What do you guys think? What are your experiences with GSP's in a nano?

SHould i just forget about wanting to add it in cuz i may regret it later?? :|

xofinnocent

Oh come on man- posted the same exact thread with poll like 6 months ago- search for my name and gsp's- youll get the answer you want.

Skippy -

They do seem to propegate and spread well. I have some in a 29 and a 2.5 and don't have issues with it growing over things. There are some cases, however, where it does take over tanks. There's one guy over here in SoCal where his entire tank is covered with GSP.

Some folks I know that are concerned with it, often put it on a small rock that isolated from the rest of the rock - kind of like an island of GSP in the sand so it has no where to go..

-Ed

never had any spread like that.

The growth is corelated from competition with other corals in the system. If you have enough competetors for nutrients, the gsp can be kept at bay.

if you DO indeed get a super grower, by all means, place it where you can easily frag it or even try ti have it grow on the glass.

and what Xo said.

They can grow fast. I located mine right on its own up against the glass and it has grow onto the glass, it looks rather cool, now that I detached the rock, and there is a large splat or star polpys growing on the tank wall.

I have seen tank pics on the net where star polpys have virtually over taken a tank, but thats extreme cases.

Just located it on its own, and it should be fine.

deacon hemp

I have had the encrusting type for 6 months and it is super fast growing.Mine was totally encrusted a peice of tonga branch when i got it so it had no where to go,it eventually grew shoots off it and has started the take over!!!it grows on the glass by itself.

Acoustic, i would also like a gsp back wall!or zoo's fer that matter.

What is difference between encursting and non-encrusting GSP? I didnt know there were two kinds. How do I tell teh difference because my LFS has some and i want to get the kind that WONT overtake my tank.

Strange. I always thought of GSP as a beginner coral that you can't kill even if you tried. Well, I SUPPOSE if you tried hard you could hehe.

John

I have had really odd results with star polyps. In my old tank, they grew everywhere. In my nano, I had two frags die before I got a small piece of Satchmo's gsp. I glued them to the glass and they are opened and happy and growing out along the glass. I put 'em on the glass (yes, I meant that reference) to avoid having the polyps grow out and cover rock and potentially threaten my corals.

except for when the sand covers then and the works eat them, and when the shails suffocate once flipped over on top of them, and bacterial alga grow under them.... yeah then the sand is Great !

:P

freakaccident

I was digging around in my tank this weekend and I happened to find a small rock with some GSPs on it still alive. I am hoping these will actually grow out. This happens to be the very first piece of GSP I got. It has been sitting in the back of my rock work for a long time. Hopefully it will start growing. I think I will stick it in my 2.5g and see what happens.

Christopher Marks

I have three different types of GSP. One grows very slowly, one has moderate growth, and the third grows very fast.

The problem I have with the type that grows very fast is that it's in my 15 gallon. It's taking over all the remaining rock space, and has started to cover the back wall. I tried to frag it yesterday evening, but it grows too close to the rock to scrape it off. I took some off the back wall but it was very thin - I have doubts that the frag will survive.

The colony that spreads slowly seems to have a much thicker mat on it, which may be the cause of the slow growth. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with where the coral is placed in a tank, and how much light it gets though.

Archived