Cultivated Reef

Goby/Sand Question

SirHelm

I currently have a 30 gallon with a crushed coral substrate. Do gobies need to have a smaller finer sand? Or is the crushed coral okay?

Also How many gobies can you safely have in a 30 gallon w/o them having territory battles.

I was talking to the LFS guy and was asking what the best anenome was for a Perc clown fish. At the time I was looking at his selection of Tank raised percs, and he pointed out that you may have issues with the clown creating that relationship with the anenome, as tank raised percs usually have never seen an anenome... and therefore would not share that genetic/enviromental link that wild percs do. What do you guys think? Is that true?

One more thing... I have a royal gramma and a yellow tailed damsel.... That damn royal is by far more aggressive during feeding time.... I sorta feel sorry for the Damsel. Where is that ferocius rep that Damsels have??

LOL

SH

First, how big is your crushed coral (1-2mm or the really big stuff)? If it is the big stuff, a goby will still grab it, maybe roll it around in its mouth, and spit it. The problem is that they like to sift the sand out the gill slits (eating any pods and critters they get). So, they should still be able to "turn over" the substrate, just not benefit from it.

Second, I'd say one goby per tank usually, unless your talking bigger than 50-60 gallons.

Third, tank raised perc don't need an anemone and will host with many popular corals, LR's, Macros, heaters, and PH's. In fact, I'd say let him host with something other than an anemone. You save yourself the headache later when it dies and pollutes your whole system.

Lastly, yellowtails tend to be a less agressive damsels. That being said, give him time, he might strap on the gloves later.

Archived