Innovative Marine Aquariums

Well, I finally did it!

minigeek

Hi All,

After much research and time here on these boards, I bought my equipment and LR/LS with some trepidation but lots of excitement!!!

So, here is the list and price of my purchases I made at my LFS. (one I recently discovered in my area and these guys are awesome -  FREE R/O water whenever I need it!).

Rio 90 Powerhead - $17

ViaAuqa Heater 75watt - $21

Kent Sea Salt 30lbs - $17

Carb Sea Deep Six Hydrometer - $13

Good 5 gal. water jug for free R/O water - $10

Tonga Branch LR 7lbs. - $38

Carb Sea Arag-Alive LS 20lbs. (used about 15 lbs.) - $28

All-Glass Mini-bow 7 Gal. tank - $60

Total thus far aprox. $210 dollars :)

As it currently stands, I am using the existing 14 watt light for cycle period and I will order from here the CSL 32 watt Smartlamp retro and hopefully have it before cycle period is done.

A good all-round test kit will be picked up sometime this week so I can verify water quality.

Current gravity readings are just slightly under 1.023.

Water temp holding well at 79 degrees.

And now here are some pics. I didn't have my camera with me yesterday when I setup so after 24 hours most of the sand has settled nicely and water is very clear. I kept these pics at their default size so I apologize if downloads are very slow at your end.

P1010001.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010005mini.JPG

P1010006mini.JPG

P1010007mini.JPG

P1010009mini.JPG

P1010010mini.JPG

Congratulations on your new tank! The rock looks great. I keep looking at those bowfront tanks at the store. ::sigh::

Good thing I have cable cause those pictures are BIG!

Yeah, next time I post pics, I will cut the size down at least 50 % for people with slower connections. The rock I picked up is very porous and has tons of surface area. At $5.99 a pound, it wasn't too bad of a deal. My LFS did have some good choices of Fiji and other common brands but this stuff really caught my eye.

I am excited to see what this stuff will start to grow.

I do have a question for everybody.

I added a Penguin HOB filter 100 gph(bio-wheel and carbon removed) to help add to circulation but it seems to create lots of air bubbles at the surface of the water. These air bubbles will go down almost half-way before going back up and they are a larger type of bubbles.

Is this anything I should be concerned about? It does create a decent surface agitation so I'm not sure. Your thoughts?

Nevermind about the bubbles. The water level was lower than the run-off lip of the Penguin which caused the water to cavitate creating the bubbles. My top-off today corrected the cavitation and the bubbles are gone.

Archived