Cultivated Reef

Weird Clear/White Hydroids

hray

As hitchhikers on new (last weekend) cured live rock (nicely coraline-covered Pacific bubble rock) in my new 15H I just found 2 clear/white hydroids. My first thought was, "Eek, Aiptasia!" but they're not; they're too fine, with clear stalks and 1/2 clear, 1/2 white (distal parts) tentacles. They look VERY much like fresh-water hydras. The stalks are about 1/4" and the tentacles are about 3/8"; they're flailing away with their tentacles in the breeze...er, current, with the lights on. [This does let me know that I have a nice moderate current in various parts of the tank!]

I just see 2; I hate to destroy new life in a new tank but if they'll be a plague later I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Input appreciated! BTW, is there a best source for the Aiptasia Gone stuff people have recommended? TIA.

Sorry for no pic, but our digital camera is really cheap; just looking for general "destroy they hydroid" or "save the hydroid" philosophies.

hray in VA

I have a bunch of hydroids in my 10.. I had a bunch in the 25 but they've since subsided.. as far as I can tell, they haven't caused any problems..

I kill mine (or try to since theres hundreds) because they multiply really fast and eat all the copepods and don't do anything usefull for the aquarium.

Update: the first two were getting bigger, and I saw more. Bigger, they started looking like Aiptasia. So they got the Kalk-paste-syringe-o'death treatment tonight.

Archived